Hello all

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantisfairies

Reaction score
Hi! I’m living in beautiful sunny northern California (close to Sacramento) right now but moved out here from New York for work. I was finishing school out there. I was living in the middle of the city by a park that was very small and devoid of most life other then a few squirrels rats and sparrows. I live in the 15th floor of the building surrounded by much taller buildings. I fell in love with mantids and their behavior when I found a decent sized praying mantis in one of the rose gardens. I stuck my finger out to interact with her and she climbed on and up to my shoulder and stuck with me while I walked around the garden. Went to put her back down when I was gonna head back and she reached out for me waving her arms almost frantically. I offered my finger and she climbed on again back up to my shoulder and came all the way home with me. Upon getting home she hopped off me went to the tallest plant I had in the window and stayed there.

The next day I went back to park to release her and they were spraying pesticides all over the roses. Now I have always thought of praying mantis as being smart for a insect, and having great personalities, but to be able to predict the imminent poisoning of her home?  I became even more fascinated with her and mantids and general.

She kept me company the rest of that year and I released her in the spring to a wooded area that seemed untouched by Gardner’s in a bigger park in Brooklyn. Ever since then I have been totally fascinated with how intelegent and fairy like these little creatures are. How much more they seem then any insect I have had the privilege to observe in the wild. I have a strong suspicion they really are fairies just hiding in insect clothing.

I joined here hoping to find other people who find them as amazing as I do. I have had all kinds of insect pets in the past growing up and many were fun to watch and observe. Even now I keep phasmids, but nothing has ever shown the personality mantids do.

I hope to get one of the exotic ones now that I live in a more stable place then I did in school. 

Im glad to meet all of you. If there are any other enthusiasts who share my feelings or who live in my area send me a shout out:)

sorry this is long winded

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome5.gif

Great story, and glad that you saved the mantis.

Latest posts