Hello everyone

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derryjellybies

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Katelyn. I am 21 years old and am attending university in Monterey, CA. I am raising my very first mantis - an L3 Rhombodera Shield Mantis. I was very worried initially because for a few days the mantis had not eaten (very small crickets or small mealworms) and had not moved from one spot in the corner of its habitat. However, I purchased some flightless fruit flies and the mantis has been eating them up like crazy! He is also moving around the enclosure more and climbing around on the little grassy plant and twigs now. Perhaps the mantis just needed time to adjust to the new habitat? I have been fascinated with insects, particularly praying mantises, since I was a child. I am excited to observe these wonderful creatures throughout their life cycle!

Thank you, guys! I tried offering a small cricket again today. The mantis quickly snatched it up and ate it! I watched him eat the entire cricket and there was no left-over bits. It is strange because the cricket looked comparatively large, but after consumption the mantis did not look particularly plump.

Hi, I am new to here also, but I am sure I will be sticking around for quite a while :)