Hello from Indy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Andi and I live in Indianapolis, Indiana with my husband Alex and our ever growing clan of critters: a Rottweiler, a Korat, a Lampropeltis mexicana mexicana, and 15 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (gargoyles)...with more gecko species to come in 2011.

I wanted to start out and thank Debbie (The Gex Files) for introducing me to the world of Mantids; your beautiful photos of your Mantids on the gecko forums got both me & my husband hooked on them.

The species that we are interested in keeping are: Sphodromantis lineola, Pnigomantis medioconstricta, Hymenopus coronatus, Phyllocrania paradoxa, Idolmantis diabolica, Deroplyats dessicata, Gongylus gongylodes, and Phyllovates chlorophaea.

I've been doing a lot reading up on the different species of Mantids and feel comfortable with their housing/care. I just need to do a little more on the housing/care of their feeders (especially the flying kind...we already house/care for crickets for our geckos) and a little more background on the Mantid life cycle then I should be ready to make my first of many purchases.

Andi

Welcome. The best information you can find on keeping mantids is right here. The net is full of bad advice.

Thanks! I've been reading through the post on here for a liitle over a month now educating myself...extremely helpful!

We've learned from keeping geckos that about 90% of the caresheet info on the web is way off and if you want correct care info then seek out a forum with tons of experienced breeders, and when in doubt ask tons of questions because they are more than willing to help and tell you about their experiences...good and bad. We all learn from our mistakes and hope to prevent others from the trial and errors we went through so our critters can have best care possible.

Hi, Andi and welcome! Good to see another Hoosier out here! (Born & raised in Northwest Indiana!) :clap:

Yes, you will definitely find all the help you need & more on here!

Good that you are seeking out the knowledge FIRST and getting your first mantis later! Way too often, it is the other way around & folks don't end up here until they're needing help because of a problem with their mantis. ;)

Welcome to the addiction! Oops! I meant 'HOBBY'! :D

-Carey Kurtz-

Green Oasis Reptiles

Mantis Pets