Hello from Mississippi

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeighRay

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm April, hailing from the weird world of Mississippi. I am a beginner when it comes to Mantids, but I have a great love for the little alien-esque creatures. They make amazing characters to write into stories. Besides the butterfly and moth, they are the only insects I have found I'm able to be comfortable around.

I am very excited to learn more about these guys and eventually start raising my own when I'm finally settled from a move. My favorite mantis is the Phyllocrania paradoxa, but I'd love to know some species that would make good starter mantids, as well as ideas for a good starter habitat. 

Look forward to hearing from everyone!

Hey April! The ghost mantis is actually a pretty easy species to start with(I've had some bad experiences with them, although I'm the only one). As far as enclosures go, just start one out in a small deli cup, and when it gets bigger, they can live in a 32 oz deli their entire lives!

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited about getting one later on. The more species I learn about, the more I hope to have one of each once I get through the beginner phase. 

Welcome! As the other guys and girls said, Ghosts are a very cool species to start with! They can be kept together in a big enclosure or apart in smaller containers, cannibalism rarely occurs but can still happen though. I've only raised Ghosts so far and they are really quite the special creatures! :D  

@SpaceWolf Yeah, they seem like a special species. They seem pretty chill and are intriguing to look at with their body designs and shades. I like the idea they can live close to each other, but keeping them separate will help me learn differences and personalities. 

Welcome, and ghosts have been my second species after the Chinese I raised this year.  They have been easy to care for and I'd definitely recommend them too.

Latest posts