hello, from Phoenix (:

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren1234

Reaction score
My name is Lauren, and my family and I are proud hosts to a TON of nymphs. But let's start at the beginning. Starting in September we had a mantis make our lamp post her home, we named her Montyna, about two months later we watched in amazement as Montyna took down a cicada, and we thought man, she must be hungry! well, turns out, she was saving up her energy because about an hour later, she laid her first egg-case out on our lamp post, shortly after, four more came, yes that's FIVE whole egg-cases. Soon after, she ran off with some dragonflys (they're bad influences-LOL! we haven't seen her since, and we had a pretty nasty hail storm, we thought the eggs weren't going to hatch, but lo and behold, they're starting to hatch and my goodness, they are the cutest things ever, we get about twenty a day, atleast. curious little babies too! I may be on here asking questions about how to care of our little orphans, so try to be patient with me :)

My name is Lauren, and my family and I are proud hosts to a TON of nymphs. But let's start at the beginning. Starting in September we had a mantis make our lamp post her home, we named her Montyna, about two months later we watched in amazement as Montyna took down a cicada, and we thought man, she must be hungry! well, turns out, she was saving up her energy because about an hour later, she laid her first egg-case out on our lamp post, shortly after, four more came, yes that's FIVE whole egg-cases. Soon after, she ran off with some dragonflys (they're bad influences-LOL! we haven't seen her since, and we had a pretty nasty hail storm, we thought the eggs weren't going to hatch, but lo and behold, they're starting to hatch and my goodness, they are the cutest things ever, we get about twenty a day, atleast. curious little babies too! I may be on here asking questions about how to care of our little orphans, so try to be patient with me :)
Welcome Lauren! I'm somewhat close to you, being down in Tucson. I am happy you were blessed with so many egg cases, I hope many of the babies grow up happy and healthy!

Wyethia

they are the most curios things ever, our mailbox is right under the lamp post and whenever we try to open the mailbox they jump down on your hands, my mom got some in a jar to give to a friend for her garden and whenever you put your hand up to the jar, they try to grasp at your fingers. SO ADORABLE :)

That's a neat story. Are you keeping the babies outside or bringing them in?

We're moving them to the backyard garden :) but my mom caught 8 of them to give to a friend.

Welcome! You, Wyethia and I form the Great Arizona Triangle! It will be hard to find the nymphs once they are distributed in your garden. No more than about one per ooth will grow to adulthood. Had you considered keeping some as pets indoors? I know that Phoenix is already buzzing with insects, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding food for them, and, especially with the help of your fellow members, raising them.Take a look at pix of Stagmomantis limbata the Arizona bordered mantis. Is that how your adult looked?

Welcome! Yes, they are so personable, aren't they? I just can't resist when they reach their little arms out to be picked up...like a baby! Must be why it takes me so long to feed & water them all at night! ;)

Latest posts