Hello from Riverside, CA!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trundlebug

Reaction score
Hi all! How are you? I just found this forum the other day, and decided to join.

I'm an entomologist currently working at UCR, and I work with all sorts of insects, though they're usually the dead kind. :p So I'm very familiar with them.

I've been raising mantises for awhile now. Currently I have ghosts, budwings, twigs, spiny flowers, blephs, and a pair of wildcaught california mantises. I'm also keeping a pair of golden texas millipedes and colorful katydid nymphs. Someday I hope to get my hands on a vinegroon!

I hope to see more of you all in the forums! :)

Hi all! How are you? I just found this forum the other day, and decided to join.

I'm an entomologist currently working at UCR, and I work with all sorts of insects, though they're usually the dead kind. :p So I'm very familiar with them.

I've been raising mantises for awhile now. Currently I have ghosts, budwings, twigs, spiny flowers, blephs, and a pair of wildcaught california mantises. I'm also keeping a pair of golden texas millipedes and colorful katydid nymphs. Someday I hope to get my hands on a vinegroon!

I hope to see more of you all in the forums! :)
Seems you got a nice bunch there! Welcome and enjoy!

Welcome!

There do seem to be a lot of Californians on the forum. (=

I am in the process of getting myself back up to Northern Cal soon.

I hope you enjoy yourself here and can share your expertise with amateurs like myself.

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome5.gif

Welcome, Trundlebug. Did you attend the insect event in Riverside last Saturday? I'd like to hear a little bit about how it was.
Hi Peter! Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did -- I'm the same person who ordered several of those mantises from you earlier. :)

There was a huge turnout! The event was only a block or so long, with little booths set up here and there, most educational, some sellers from familiar websites (Millipedes and More, Bioquip, etc.) UCR has an insect outreach program that was out in full force, and each lab from the Entomology department had made their own display regarding insects they specialized in. The Entomology club also had a booth that was constantly swamped. There were lots of live insects to hold and play with, and fun crafts, like making tie-dye shirts from cochineal scales, to eating brownies made from cricket flour.

James Ricci plays a huge part in the insect outreach program actually, and I help take care of his different insects among other things. I was surprised to hear you mention him! Very small world. :)

Welcome!

There do seem to be a lot of Californians on the forum. (=

I am in the process of getting myself back up to Northern Cal soon.

I hope you enjoy yourself here and can share your expertise with amateurs like myself.
Are there? How neat! I live in SoCal, so it can be a challenge to keep things humid. I wonder if it's any easier up north.

I hope to learn new things from you, too. I'm no expert! =P

Thank you also for the warm welcomes, everyone! That's very kind of you all.

Hi Peter! Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did -- I'm the same person who ordered several of those mantises from you earlier. :)

There was a huge turnout! The event was only a block or so long, with little booths set up here and there, most educational, some sellers from familiar websites (Millipedes and More, Bioquip, etc.) UCR has an insect outreach program that was out in full force, and each lab from the Entomology department had made their own display regarding insects they specialized in. The Entomology club also had a booth that was constantly swamped. There were lots of live insects to hold and play with, and fun crafts, like making tie-dye shirts from cochineal scales, to eating brownies made from cricket flour.

James Ricci plays a huge part in the insect outreach program actually, and I help take care of his different insects among other things. I was surprised to hear you mention him! Very small world. :)
I didn't hear about this event. :(

Are there? How neat! I live in SoCal, so it can be a challenge to keep things humid. I wonder if it's any easier up north.

I hope to learn new things from you, too. I'm no expert! =P

Thank you also for the warm welcomes, everyone! That's very kind of you all.
It's easier in the Valley... Riverside is dry! :p

Latest posts