Hello from Seattle

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seattle79

Reaction score
Hi, my name is kevin and I'm from Mercer Island, WA (2 miles East of Seattle in the middle of lake Washington). I'm in the Sports Medicine/Strength & conditioning profession. I help injured athletes of all levels get back onto the field pain free and functioning again through rehabilitation and reconditioning.

I have always liked insects, especially Praying Mantises. I have always bought mantids from the pet store when I was a kid, but now I would like to become a breeder and raise multiple kinds of Mantids. I believe mantidforum.net will help educate and guide me in the right direction.

I'm currently in Prescott, AZ this month to help my girlfriend move. Man, there are a lot of large and loud insects (and mantises) here. In Seattle we don't have a huge variety of bugs. I have never seen or heard of anyone obtaining a wild caught mantis in the Seattle/King Co. area. Anyone know where to look for mantids in Western Washington?

Thanks.

Welcome from Yuma ! Since your girlfriend is all packed, and since neither Mercer Island nor Prescott (a snowy spot in winter) boasts much in the way of mantids, you might want to consider moving to Tucson (a good sports medicine program there, I believe) or anywhere along the southern AZ border as far west as -- what's that lovely town on the Colorado? The 3:10 goes there, I believe.
biggrin.gif

welcome lord Siddious :clap: do not try any jedi mind tricks on me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody! I recently caught a mantis nymph 3 weeks ago here in Prescott, AZ (elevation 5,300+). She has molted twice! I believe she is an L4. She looks ready to molt again (not moving, eating, staying in one spot). I believe she is a stagmomantis limbata or stagmomantis carolina. I will post pics of her a day after she has molted so you guys can help verify who she belongs to. I also have come across multiple ootheca (all have hatched or have had parasidic wasps) all belonging to the same kind of mantis. I will also post pics of the ootheca to help verify the species.

Thanks again.

Hi Kevin

Welocome to this great forum lots of friendly people here

worked on Mercer Island for a few years now live southern end of Seattle close to Boeing field

new to Mantis as well so not sure if there are any this side of the mountains maybe Yakima area or up around Moses Lake

I am off on a 20 Mile hike this weekend around Mowich Lake in Rainier so will be keeping my eyes open for Mantis and Bears :rolleyes: .

I have purchased Mantis from a coule of the Breeders here who have excellent transactions and goodwill.

Royz

Hi Kevin

Welocome to this great forum lots of friendly people here

worked on Mercer Island for a few years now live southern end of Seattle close to Boeing field

new to Mantis as well so not sure if there are any this side of the mountains maybe Yakima area or up around Moses Lake

I am off on a 20 Mile hike this weekend around Mowich Lake in Rainier so will be keeping my eyes open for Mantis and Bears :rolleyes: .

I have purchased Mantis from a coule of the Breeders here who have excellent transactions and goodwill.

Royz
Hi Royz, nice to meet you and everyone else here at mantidforum.net. I just caught another female Mantis here in Prescott, AZ this morning (have 2 female mantids now, no male yet). I should be coming back to Seattle at the end of this month. Good luck hiking in the Rainer area. I still haven't come across bears in WA yet, just in zoos.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts