Hello from St.Paul Minnesota

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there still flies in them? If so. Use them till they are all out. I like to let the maggots use up most, if not alll the media . Then I let it dry out a bit. Make is easy to shake out the old stuff , so I can wash and reuse the cup. If you buy new cups , then you can just toss it out . I always try to spray the culture with a bleach solution to kill anything living in the culture before I toss them out.

Hope that helps .

PS: Next time try posting related topics in related sections . Might help with faster responses . This might have been better placed in "food and feeding". Im also new here . Welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you and yes there still has flies in it. It says"For reculturing start a new deli cup with fruit fly media & excelsior at 2-3 weeks from the date on the cup. Discard any culture that is over 4 weeks old,or they could attract grain mites. Date created 12-3-14

Greetings and welcome to the forum
welcome4.gif

Well hopefully you started new cultures from it before the expiration date, as it's easy to keep them going by shaking out 25-50 flies into new empty cultures. Seems many though will freeze the expired cultures, then dump the contents, and clean and restart a empty culture in the clean container for the next round.

I know from the little time of keeping them so far that I can easily triple my cultures from each established culture before they expire. That said you will run out of 32 ounce cups, and have to ask how many cultures do you really need for each variety of fruit fly? For now I keep at least 3 of each variety/species of flies and upwards of 6 cultures for flies I expect to use more of. I will though adjust the amount of cultures depending on my feeder needs as my ooths hatch.

Welcome

Expiration date? Never heard of such a thing.

Welcome to the forum. =3

I don't go by expiration dates, but when a culture starts to get a really bad build up of waste material, I stick mine in the freezer. Not only does it kill anything left alive but it makes popping out all the media really easy if you want to wash and reuse the container.

Latest posts