Hello - New Mantis owner

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrancz1180

Reaction score
Hello, I learned if this forum while searching for tips on how to care for an ootheca that was just laid last night by Matilda, my European mantis. At least that's what I think she is. I will post a picture later and hopefully one of the more experienced purveyors could assist in identifying.

I found Matilda on a screen after a big storm here in Chicagoland. I was immediately hooked after watching her feed for the first time. I bought a small enclosure from Petsmart to house her. Three days later, again after a storm, I found a smaller version of her, that I now know was a male. I put him in the same cage and within 15 minutes, Matilda decapitated him and amputated one front leg. Then, his headless body mounted her and mating commenced for about 5 hours, after which, she ate everything but his wings. That happened about 2 weeks ago. She ate 4-6 grasshoppers per day up until Monday, stopped feeding, laid her eggs last night and has now eaten 3 crickets in the last 2 hours.

So, should I try and remove ootheca from her cage, put in paper bag and leave outside? If so for how long? Or is there a way to hatch without having to wait by keeping it at a certain temp & humidity level? My 6 year old is very excited by the prospect of mantid "babies" and has helped me catch Matilda's food on a nightly basis for the last month that we've had her. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Tim

keep it warm and spray every other day. they take few weeks to months depending on how warm it is. don't overheat it, though. that will dry it out. around 80-85F is the max temp. they are usually laid in the shade in the wild. my ooths were put in a butterfly cage and hatched indoors. they were kept near a warm window, but without direct sun. the babies are hard to keep alive, so I recommend releasing them. they can also be hatched outside. mine were chinese. euros are slightly easier, but babies still require very small food like fruitflies.

Welcome. I believe European mantises need a diapause (a period of cold) for the nymphs to properly develope. But I'm sure someone else on here will know the specifics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

I found my first mantis the same way. It was a female Chinese though and it was on my screen door. She was huge!! I was kinda scared of it at first. :helpsmilie:

Latest posts