HELLO, OTHER MANTIS LOVERS.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Kevin, and I currently reside in the US, specifically northern California.

Since a young age (when I was in elementary school), I became fascinated by the world of insects and their importance to ecosystems everywhere! I've had a keen eye for praying mantises for the following reasons: they are aggressive predators, many species have beautiful colorations, and they are simply fun to observe. I am involved in many extra-curricular activities: I do speech and debate, used to longboard, and volunteer quite a bit! During the course of the last year (I ordered around 10 chinese mantis egg cases)-I had access to the AP Biology classroom at my school and was able to use the environmental chamber-all 10 cases hatched. Since then, I have raised about 10 chinese mantises, and have found them simply wonderful. However, I'd like to start exploring more exotic species as well-I am currently contemplating buying the ghost mantis (off bugsincyberspace.com). Anyone have anything to say about that species? It currently averages 60 degress Fahrenheit for maximum temperature per day, and I will be keeping them enclosed in the a 12x10" container-no heat, my house is typically about 70 degrees, though. Nice to meet you all, excited to have finally found a place to discuss.

Cheers.

Welcome, ghosts r fun and awesome

I say go for it, just don't feed them crix too much, flies r better,

Hope u enjoy it here and find what u r looking for

Also I highly recommend a creobroter species, fun and easy little mantises with great personality and cool looks :)

Welcome to the forums Kevin.

You came to the right place to find a ton of information on mantids, though it sounds like you've already got some great experience with Tenodera sinensis! Regarding ghosts, I haven't kept them yet but I'm told they're one of the easier species to raise and are fine with room temperatures (though many mantids generally thrive on the warmer side of that spectrum, ~70-75F.) To read specifics and learn from the wisdom and experiences of others, you might like the forums' search feature. I haven't tested this but I would start with search for "paradoxa" in the "Breeding and Nymph Care" section.