Hello, thanks in advance

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenlbr

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dewey. I live in Florida, I have been keeping snakes for years and have just recently been interested in mantis's. My son ,6, has been wanting a mantis for about a year now after he saw a program on Discovery, Alien Insect The Praying Mantis. Excellent program. Growing up in WV we had Chinese mantises I had no idea it would be hard to find a mantis in Florida. Finally found a breeder, at a reptile show of all things and now Im hooked. 1 texas unicorn and 1 cryptic. Thanks in advance for all the questions I'm sure I'm going to be asking.

Hey, yeah personally I believe Florida has one of the most interesting, if not the most interesting, mantids native to the United States. Gonotista grisea. They look a lot like pine bark and can get almost completly flat so they are at times hard to spot even when they are all over the place. Try checking any pine trees you have access to, oaks too. Whereabouts in Florida do you live? I'm around the Orlando area and I'm curious if the reptile show you got your mantis from was repticon at the Central Florida Fairgrounds. If thats the case then you bought your mantids from another forum member, mantisfu, he had both those species available there(I got some cryptic too). Best of luck with your new mantids and in finding more. Your really going to enjoy this hobby.

Latest posts