Hello there everyone! I'm kinda new here? :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianVonEpic

Reaction score
Soooo, hello! I'm Adrian.  I'm from/in Seattle, Washington.  I'm 41, and me and my gf are both fairly obsessed with arthropods.  She's got a bit of a thing for some amphibians too, but they don't count around here, am I right? ;) hahah.  

Anyhow, I'm uh.. Into a bunch of really weird things, video games, strange new recipes, and fringe technology.  Anyone wanna game sometime? ;)

But, I just got my first mantis about 9 months ago? I had no idea I even liked them so much.  Girlfriend just happened to bring me home an ooth from the local garden center at the fred meyers she happened to work at, at the time.  Neither of us were even sure it was going to hatch.  So, I put it in a small, crappy, 8x6x12? plastic discount model terrarium thing from the pet shop, inside a little dish. just laying there. TOTALLY didn't know any better yeah? Well.  

So, fast forward a few weeks, and nothing has happened, but I've kept it misted periodically.  So, I mist it again, and next thing I know, there's just tons of babies crawling all over the whole tank! I guess I got lucky and they hatched right anyways.  Phew.  I let the majority of them go outside after the first day or so, just to ensure they'd survive due to the limited space I had.  Kept about 10.  They slowly started disappearing. .I was worried. I checked online, read up on whatever I could about them thinking maybe they were eating each other.  My fears were confirmed. LOL.  I told my girlfriend, she thought I was crazy, that they wouldn't eat each other.  By the time she finally believed me, we were down to one.  A female.  I named her darth manticus, in honor of the brutal fratricide she committed, to survive to adulthood.  

Unfortunately, I do believe she either wasn't moist enough in molting, or got knocked down before she finished, but her wing was messed up and all tangled up.  Her back end was also very slightly damaged a bit.  I was able to partially straighten out her wing with a tiny paper clip and some patience, but I couldn't do a whole lot for her back end aside from misting her with water and patting it dry when the hemolymph would leak out until it wasn't.  I did the best I could. Kept her alive for almost 6  weeks after that, until I think the damage just got to be too much, or she finally got an infection from it.. and got weak and ended up dying.  But, you know.  It is what it is ;)

Now, I have 2 female ghost mantids - phyllocrania paradoxa, that are almost adults, that I acquired locally here.  A what I believe? is female, sphodromantis, that i picked up from mantidkingdom.  A cute little female, almost adult, indian flower mantis, the creobroter gemmatus? that we had picked up at the recent trade show.. And a new lil Hierodula membranacea, that I just picked up from over at bugs in cyberspace.  (both bugs in cyberspace,
and mantid kingdom were amazing, btw!) 

Hoping to get quite a few more as time goes on.  Also hoping to get enough space here to (with any luck) get some of the more rare, or unique ones behaviorally, and breed them to study them.  I've become overly fascinated with the mantids, but arthropods in general are pretty great as well!  

The gf has a nice little collection, too.  I'm doing my best to add to that as best as I can! Hahaha.  She's currently at 6 blue death feigning beetles, 2 chrome roaches, 2 extinct roaches, a handful of madagascar roaches, an adult wide horned hisser, a nymph wide horned hisser, a handful of peppered deaths head roaches, and some new babies! uhh.. a pacman frog, a couple of african dwarf frogs? I believe? and a florida tailless whip scorpion.  And then a container with kenyan roaches and dubia roaches, both purchased as food, that she got too attached to and we're now keeping them.. LOL!  also another container with some random snails and some isopods and some crickets at various stages.. We're also experimenting with different ways/time involved for getting zophobas morio to pupate and beetle up.  Had one that JUST FINALLY pupated, stayed a worm for nearly.. 8 months? Very odd :) We're attempting to see how well things thrive/breed together to find ideal ways to sustain food populations with minimal attention needed ;)

(However, in the meantime.. anyone in the seattle area have some spare flies/moths/etc? One of my ghosties just molted and my flies quit hatching near as i can tell.. 😥 )

Aaaaaand, below.. Is one of my favorite pics of all time, that I took of my lovely girl Darth Manticus, at sub adult, maybe 3 or 4 days before her last molt? She went to town on that cricket, and I had just the right angle, lighting, and focus to make it an amazing shot :D  

ANYWAYS! Glad to be here, can't wait to meet some of you and chat, and if any of y'all live near by, let's talk! maybe we can discuss mantids in more detail. :)  (or if you like roaches, my girlfriend is available as well.. lol) 

ZZDBT5fe8Wngxeq8QNxPK3qxR-6WeKFJE9Yo1-E2tW8ZrSPm-zPAS9h6Y9AhMiKr6qaCKF8uZULz22FEGLmcANuycaf79dPzT-Vk_NFTAtir-O1k6FvCFdhYRj7S13luv7bpu1-GfRDpnTCwcYuA7rYShjbGJaeo8RmyPh1T1A6OX0gDI4D-DGnj7HDla-Zjuvd_RdvK-tP7PeLCDgSaRfjbzgTroV_KN3K7j0GBwyuAI8HnRk9QBkN_PKRF9ZDizVZB1namRoh0McKLPtnh7kDmbRJ7lSXfcXPnbpg8rZdekbRhgVohPuhYGXmpox2YEpMY1fKTqr_aKTUNXJ-QdhDz3VRU4gErOk1XoJxJSqeXeO6jNv6YCQRmWhlLQv6bdnwhazX0ob3u-__qLQD9KQY-OGGOw_GwiedGVIXGLXxvlut4AtJufPWN0UPEmEI7MFbz8WPE-KYuH4Vh69VZbQt2WacSWkg93VVOg9A1D_RCL9iw0o8vtiImIFJZqdmrTP5qfn3McYUmWgQbG-E9pnn-mRNPekBfAfCkiLPW_yeZgRcHctrpPkOlWghlhm_elfvGG7e2Isn2DjuEKxZ0UhTb_Sv1qDCFCLzPu8-LNW841gPn70-9_r73XK71tFc9fvAeK2Qbuh8fl2KVZEMqrizPwnfh59232BsFpeCNHacve5duNjMWWhCh9vEycbOm9rhZvs4snen_6Onc56xQVrCfPFnMjchMdj3QLC8ADxF-UFgOug=w2528-h1896-no

I'll just toss in a few more of her so you can check her out a bit better.  :)
LosI8_VX-Een2q5uCcXKo0C-Njx_-RnFd9aIg3CTZhvPego5ISlAhBG267RqfZbQaUPpeJ4Zvmet976on3xppB2ShROldc4QdgW74kQR_8Jwn_z1g-NwwrtXz4nYiWb86yEc4KV5TxQXRNb4NRhHpxcmazNrTkd0Jzl51r6tT0ThIV5KYE29mig3BoAUERIZ7FnBKGX1dkjkYtM2AyZLyYiZY0Tg3cDUBEN9SO_fV3IwfFKcrheKmS40Xa1BNSIrY95pMsO08_iAfZdrkmd0UhpiuZ4f-Bs7cNvBqG95Wu6L3zemVx2w6JkGf1mUvNXoxCSNYvIXNBltvrIdXKRm51iFg34rFvbswi6cYSxuq_JG8Zo8QsgGZUBhFJgvgnpwUsQ2RLakXNhFNXY7xAmCp0fcK9hQHWnUi4Oo4IiV0T929GKyGV7o9WkIX-HqvMZVfqPFYZ_Zaqvn8WO__UVwk_abXjIiVCcT2SGL-wfBJMWMOEm9gMrB4vcGOAgVG_OslMJBN1eyqB5SfPrGgqYAquFCJ_VmxSqU44Z8zwjfM7lsuUeOJmD0WzfI9jYkVJtaDi0l6BPJy8z3YWBbPUCBWPklnH3mOOxb_rCY0CJV_Czv-t5u6BbLDAUJIcVrQ0O0dRkF4ecwIFrb_uLKq9UQg5hyLdiGpK61Cq43n7pSG7M0Kq0-tnR1irB15PK7h9PDDPg7kjM10cYUZ4c0F_FfkRkXTJZa1vIeueasYYIQauD9o0cY8Q=w1560-h1170-no
SeeRPdFTyCQZxxom7SEumWsknZlPr2u_FwGUxy1oidL6PlElpQqe1BxmhnuYy0FMygKOQAQ2A_9xtJhF8UlJFE7sRKVbPh4oEYhab36VdijW1Mt3mdwpqGxT9c47W-eP1sh59jHLJNXw3FRC0uX1smySSd0olNuaHT7R5LUNQiD3XJJjbsfciYEAiUzS_YMdz8A2_cjbZBkAmPekM7thNxZoneX46fOQopMZL9SEwsTO4_YF_gDDIeWW9TPJSk3LM2qECbfoUTqG7bBlIg0uDz5viNO5ozl71Im5z7MPwarBMKxRMmeUx0ZAdvUVeWIRyyEtotnIkFOcqDwEqiqn_7Gq6ieuxD0Vpps9XK4daZPrMWvA-iQp0YyzxizOZU7yq-mnSUNq05FMBJ2hr6MncsW8QhM5LgYcCBs9VhMr3sjtFJ99vpHxWBurKUyF0nFbrtWm42ZIMMeJnFTZCUgB44MftJ7jKvrOu0m8V-kS_4Jh2Lg_t9okKVhtFGBmioCPo9ty2k0-aE167BAjdh412Lx3IEKCD_SRIY_leb6msqlJdHIKFfd_WYrGRxSKFqrSj5-VxbosePL7iphzQvRkE6K6U408jbdRDawCmSU5I8XqGNxYjY0r0m3r5iTz5seISbOk51ngpuJae1ijo04Zjhr1uNfPKQQBa0P-0RncdH4NDxRrKaFEvy-QXOGe6wpvq3e9TZPIL1C-4VWkmb9_t_UMdcCXyTNa3MBzasES0bOwp1jFKA=w1560-h1170-no
WJibK9QwH5hpAj4k_jx5otlVqAh46j9kYb-pLdMZ-Vv4_-5flPsv7w6icTHQsQ0pREOOpUWs_o0tYtly8DzYeiItYpMWLF6Sv9tfLXPsRLxeB-N3QLjTYkDq9td9Y-fO0aP_l4_P3wfyKbOWE9KYzuejhiBlAmI2VjGUONMOu1zy7q1m3U2TCkCwiUPfjmef4JV85KPJdh_dAzj0eJ-EhEP3mghsAw0dFopBy5ELn4GK6lF7psciXDPyR1m6UPgGX605p-V4EVdxYaWOTq-2exwARK4T9gUjB7ZOdTSqhGmK4dW05fjXr2WE3dmutvgLwxUtBVJf3Trh1GUOI9vmhVhw1bYMWBR-9evfs1thWftDtf8cHVSPcwxqcskCpG_dKKGgkttmTA26fG_jNKUUqZOnMbVZASWl3keBnTIqvGkg9w5vtTJgpZv0QeGDw9r049FStfH8Wdsv_Uln3991TNVnrBc2sBXrMCDwhckw-FbWUOEuUu8wzIHH9hOhZ1krG7fOUiyjNBMKK_yr1V4hulmNHN6G1_2K3pPSIgvi-Scj2IcDENbunq3GRrpP0a2ZTsxJFA-ya5I3LRzqGmO0rkdzxquFRmP3RXaIV-MmUAabMrzixTZZfkEgqCuLG1V__zV-Kj2oa00ES3Elq6cvhslqv9SwDN1dBha1OsGo5smAxK5ln0GVB1r7URpe_Hqf_yLGxyt5KhOjEgMPByO0h78cUldcBI83WIvqwj9FzghryA-cQA=w1560-h1170-no
Y50uJ3FRlzrrXwUFxF5q4ZMCE4O8lxnHtNcbhL25FYC-2YX5UVe-gak2a4IqU0HIX7KCqeXAGMBNQFnST_pueueP9j8upGxaZXT5jN22X4a0w_Aq1aCzQ8LvvfwvqY7le7-Fj246eNV4KbuG9XqJ7ndK0b9Rg1ohJfD2IvQlwMjgLzaH6BoPgFKr1Vl_wnEUKacf-1oCVL_sF94rAXEkn5cvYCMexMNIVhheVpeMr6BcEDICMgADIwIV4MLqknJ1_qmAcaCPpGwIm0EUwxW0VyMe3-uxVS1p5H8flg0n3TkInfm8mNpOG4T_wnjTIFRDbi06KOR-A07og9wMFhMh531VZvK_dxraO4URRcrOzB7p3jL04DAWzDHYgYPbzxqpCuHxvnno5Nx6g1LVYmTR35n56D6dC6SmXu3-wGUDbbkBemBztn1VXiK56UwYp8fKrc3LWMKFj78nIOk8fqMc8IZeT6eo4penc70HpAT-TdjJEQ82_2IMf_RU6H44R6xOq1zMxGpgZiZw3mqmPaHszSQf0-NBH4CDRVOzNhRGPx-eXVhuU4zzufl-6Gjd318ehcXNqP3X7XuvuOYZbonWxugXjzfAVCnNcCZeVKnltNxjeR5sIu7e8erTNIShukVbbFjJkeVwAK4AybTNv4NBVN1YFrVrzeqKknmZxYeYFHGch1FLTSJ9Fidy5VZsms_qglTJOP7oRPpHhZxkfv70f9J26OWErtB0E2avB8PMDP_TQ6s59g=w1560-h1170-no

And just because I was shocked at how big and heavy this guy was.. Here's her wide horned hisser adult, that she got at a trade show a while back :) He's super chill, and super clingy. lol.
Of7UhDX94oVuaTOduqzRwWfHSjgGXrXtZM0nJAlfCu52ZBncAUphRZGnymPhbFzSbZrbQJLSJCxacJma8PY3EOZ4j55Cn7Uqmu9imHmA0yo4QIHkTk-0YOVXIjZHdPVf4SuZcBwlnycZCyjndIerfsj9useivDzN0_NVQS--TizuUFbJbGKODqVJjs-rpXSNCprK5DZYUaeC8UiRJu6A0QZ3CzPZIGbyGsOqWCva7j-F2MiHLyWMTZWwOWYfgolOZXtCR-WoMcHLgul-bMT1YAg1gvIr2haFVyCbxIDQJbww_BWlDoszfHB0EqDsiXO3dpghs-RX0aOvBFP2osi6pBLkBJwXdCYt4d0FMpF6A1UhPSxaST9ubhOelV56X9laiDFmyPmK7h88fG3ivHSqBa4PsAjE1rjeEX9O92Y_ZYrjtE2KIUKQHNr0iQOJjFFLXqMU3m6EjMnMMzixhcK2KVqLBr9_KQOTVcSy-6CT_UQP_kdMj09hrB-03MUMjtGb_jCD_2dItsoyVbC-ZipTqOjMPvvE8OfrrNjatySWfgojRcaduIyQBvV3zhQhqfmO_0GD5finHPAug_vhGubseox42Uyau-EnPXFP4qSrT82xICV6ceVL7cXS76zudoY0m_iEiyzJr7hwrc52W45A_phX9fKDUHGrKTWAr5lnuiiw4c3uUxlM-so78m90sd7pgi2kpORGD_xnHOyS7clpOOqfY5lNmfFWT72lPIL0eixKTM6pAA=w1560-h1170-no

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll fit in here very well. :)

- MantisGirl13 

Welcome to the forum! Your story is awesome! It certainly sounds like you have had quite the adventure with mantises and other inverts.

Thanks everyone :) Definitely glad to be here.  One of my female ghosts, the one I named shrimp, molted last night! Although I haven't checked yet to see how she's doing or if she has wings yet or not.  it was early into the molt so i figured I'd just leave her be. :D  

As for the lotion.. man. I wish SOMETHING would help. No luck so far. Lately I've taken to using little silicon sleeves to slide over my fingers at night with lotion, to try and help.. Still can't figure out for the life of me why they started cracking and bleeding randomly, after almost 40 years of being fine. *shrugs* I feel like it's something related to vaping, as that's recent too.  But, who knows.  Medically, I'm a bit bizarre anyways. My docs just recently transplanted a new cornea for me, and they still couldn't figure out, even after removing the whole mass, what caused the scar tissue that messed up my original one.  LOL.  Soooo.  

It's the weirdest thing too.  Sometimes it'll be fine. and then it'll be fine for days or even a couple weeks. then all the sudden really bad again.. like sometimes almost 1/8" deep cracks that make it hurt so bad to move my fingers LOL.  I've been using the hydrocolloid bandages as of late, when it gets to that point.  It's the only thing that actually gives some relief, rather than just searing white hot nerve pain until it takes enough damage from the air ;)  

SoooooO!!!!

On another note.. I've been like.. seriously obsessed with the toxodera mantids since I've found them.  Exo factory told me they'd likely have some in may again.. But, I've also heard that I should never deal with them.. is that still the case? are they terrible? Also the massive hassle of having a friend buy them for me and going through the trouble of having them legally imported seems a bit tricky.. Are there any breeders or collectors here in the US that are doing those guys? I know mantidkingdom had the stenophylla recently, and those guys are pretty great too.  Gf was gonna buy me the last two they had, and then it sold out before she could.. LOL.  Go figure ;) But, I'm a pretty big guy myself at nearly 6'7, so the tiny lil mantids, along with my bad eyesight, sometimes worry me and scare me that I'll injure them.  :(  They're so fragile.  I feel like the really big ones might help me learn to feel a bit more comfortable with them, as well as study them as I'd like to.  

I've done a lot of photography in the past, and my current lens unfortunately is 😜 but, I'm hoping to get a nice macro lens soon, and would love to find some great unique species for taking photos of and learning more about.  If anyone has any great suggestions on anything that would be unique either behaviorally or aesthetically, let me know.. I'd love to know more! :) OR! Even if you're anywhere near by and just have some that you don't want to get rid of, let me know.. I'll come take pictures ;)  

Toxodera have never really been in culture. I've never heard of anyone breeding them.

Exo factory is based in Germany doesn't have great reviews. 

That's so cool that you do photography! I'm dabbling in macro photography right now, mantids and jumping spiders are awesome subjects. 

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts