Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plex7

Reaction score
I'm Will. New to the insect pet world. I have had every other kind of domestic pets except for bugs! I was astonished when I found out that you can keep Praying Mantis as pets.Incredible insects for sure. They intimidated me a lot when I was a kid, but now I want to reach out :) I've a few questions:

1) Can they be tamed? Never have I heard of a tamed insect, it sounds ridiculous I know.

2) What are the chances that a mantis will bite you when you hold it?

3) How often do they fly around? I know they fly for short distances but do they use their wings often?

4) Can you strictly give a mantis just one kind of meat? Or a variety is always the way to go??

5) Is there any trick or way to show the mantis that you mean no harm? How do you approach one without the risk or decreases the chance of getting bit? I know they are somewhat communicators too.

6) I live in Southern California, what species will be just fine here?

Thanks!

Welcome, it's not so much the bite but the clamp down that will get ya, but that is rare unless your mantis are a aggressive species like say Chinese, even then it's only if you startle or scare them. my Chinese got me a few times but there's no blood just a quick "wow she got me" no real pain.

They do get to know you and are very curious little insects, so you could say a form of tame but not really, I think it's more "hey your the guy who feeds me" and if you let them they will crawl all over you, which is alot of fun if your not bug shy.

They only fly if there adult with no more molts to come, even then its usally just the males. if you have a cat don't let them see the flying thing!!!

Just come at them slow and let them get on your hand at there own speed(which can be fast) then sit back and enjoy your little buddies. :)

I'm Will. New to the insect pet world. I have had every other kind of domestic pets except for bugs! I was astonished when I found out that you can keep Praying Mantis as pets.Incredible insects for sure. They intimidated me a lot when I was a kid, but now I want to reach out :) I've a few questions:

1) Can they be tamed? Never have I heard of a tamed insect, it sounds ridiculous I know.

2) What are the chances that a mantis will bite you when you hold it?

3) How often do they fly around? I know they fly for short distances but do they use their wings often?

4) Can you strictly give a mantis just one kind of meat? Or a variety is always the way to go??

5) Is there any trick or way to show the mantis that you mean no harm? How do you approach one without the risk or decreases the chance of getting bit? I know they are somewhat communicators too.

6) I live in Southern California, what species will be just fine here?

Thanks!
Welcome.

1. No

2. Pretty much zero unless you grab if forcefully. And even then the pinch from the front legs would be more of a concern than a bite.

3. In general only adult males fly. If you get an adult male out of his cage he may fly.

4. If by meat you mean feeder insects you can feed them whatever insect you want. A variety is best, but if you cannot do that you have to make sure your feeders are eating good to make them a healthy meal for mantids.

5. The risk of a mantis bite is so small you should stop worrying about it right now.

6. You can keep any species you want regardless of where you live with the proper set up. Most need nothing more than an enclosure of the proper size, food, and a spray with a water bottle every day or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, I have had thousands and only one bite! Lay your hand down in front of one and they will crawl onto it. Babies have lots of fun running to the top of your hand, kinda like a kitty is how the mantis is. ;)

Hi Will, and welcome to the forum... nice to have you here! :)

I wouldn't worry about being bitten. It's rare for them to bite, and then usually only adult females of large agressive species like T. sinensis or C. humeralis... and then only when they're scared or you're doing a bungled job of handling them (quite rare).

Latest posts