Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiemurray

Reaction score
Hello All,

So I went to an entomology fair today and came back with a Sphodromantis 'Chamaeleon Village'! He is an adult male. I have him in a 20X20X30cm cage with good ventilation.

I have just finished my entomology masters so gave myself an entomology treat! (my first insect pet).

I have put a cricket in the cage but he (Amadeus) has not moved since we got him. Is there a chance he needs settling in time? or does he need more than one cricket to see them? Worried he hasn't eating- unless he is travel sick!?

Great to find this forum on day 1 of new hobby :)

Katie x

Welcome! give him time he is probably calming down.

Adult male mantids don't eat as much as females, sometimes they will go a couple of days without eating, depending on the food and how much they last had.

Make sure that he notices the cricket, many mantids will not hunt down their prey as they prefer to wait for it. Sometimes they will wait for quite a while.

I like to remove uneaten crickets if they are ignored because they might bite the mantis

PhilinYuma: Yes I live in London at the moment, originally from Scotland though.

My camera isn't brilliant, but I tried to get some pictures of him (don't do the wee guy any justice though!!). Any idea how to put images into a post? Can't see anything obvious!

Welcome, try hosting your images on a site like photobucket or something, then copy the photo link into a reply/post on the forum. Cheers!

Thanks,

Just a quick thumbnail to show you little Amadeus :)

IMG_1157.jpg

Welcome to Mantidforum.net! I hope to see your contributions and hope you learn lots here as I have. Cool mantid btw. Ukmantisforum.co.uk is also good. :)

Latest posts