Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaronJ

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Caron and I am from Texas. I recently found a mantis at my work fell in love so brought her back with me. I noticed something odd in her tank. So I did some research and found out she laid eggs. This is my first mantis. Any pointers on the eggs? What do I do??

Welcome to the forums from the Seattle area Caron, there are lots of great people here who will be happy to help.

I'm jealous that you were able to find a wild mantis, it's too cold here in Seattle and that's cool of you to take care of her. Regarding tips on care for her ootheca (egg case), here's a good thread to read for starters: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9597

More detailed instructions and assistance can be provided once you determine the mantis species. If you're not sure about the species name, are you are able to share a few pictures of your mantis and the ootheca? If not, that's OK, we can probably figure it out with a detailed description and a general location (e.g. city?) that you found her.

Welcome and congrats on mother natures blessing. It would be easier if you could post a picture of her on the post. With texas its alittle harder to know which species exactly since there are a few species unlike here in new york where we only have to species. The european and the chinese.

I am not really sure what species she is. Here is the only picture I have right now. I can get more tonight when I get home. I am posting this from my phone not sure if it will work or not.

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Caron,

Welcome to the forum! I found my first adult mantis in the wild in Texas last October, and that's what brought me to this forum. I photographed a couple of them and then later in the week found a green one at night. I brought her inside so that I could take her out in the morning to photograph her. When I woke up, she had escaped the enclosure and was sitting on my camera.

Be aware that this hobby can be addicting. Good luck with your mantis and your ooth.

Tammy

Hi Caron: You are welcome to an addicting site and hobby. I hope you enjoy your discovery. It is worth all the time you can put into it as long as it is for the purpose of exploration, learning and having fun. There is a certain camaraderie also.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I just found an old picture from a few years back. It is a picture of my ONLY wild praying mantis I have ever found around my house. I did a photo shoot and let her go, as I didn't know about keeping them or that there were even places like this to go for information. I'm sure glad I found this now. So I have been bitten by the bug for quite a while. I'm glad you found your new friend, this forum, and the wealth of info this forum provides.

Here's my big girl..

100_2390.jpg

I think you find this site to be very educational, and you and your new friend will benefit greatly. Welcome aboard!

Latest posts