Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bread

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been catching and raising bugs my whole life. I never wanted a praying mantis, though. My grandpa used to give them to me in deli cups as gifts. He told me that mantises bite when you touch them, and the only way to get them to release their grip is by cutting off the body. I always released them because I was scared :lol: Only recently did I bother verifying this.

I don't have any mantises yet. I'm probably going to get T. sinensis to start.

This forum is a great resource, I'll be sticking around!

:D

Welcome! I've never had a mantis bite me, I think they would most likeley do a threat display or hide :) also T. sinensis have a high death rate

ive felt little nibbles when my mantids are drinking water off of me. but i havent been bitten, although i did see a kid get bitten once when we were catching them as kids. but he was also being mean to it, so it was deserved.

good luck finding a starter mantis for yourself, it wont be to hard here

Welcome to the forum from Florida! Adults can and will draw blood if given a reason...one is not going to simply jusy bite you.... (and some ppl mistake a bite for their raptorials being used to get a better grip on human skin...)

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone :D

Welcome! I've never had a mantis bite me, I think they would most likeley do a threat display or hide :) also T. sinensis have a high death rate
I've read that somewhere before, quite unfortunate. I figured I would keep around 10-15 and see how many reach adulthood.

Welcome, that is a great avatar!
Thanks, made it myself :)

Hello Bread, got any butter? haha, welcome! stinking grampas!
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Adults can bite and draw blood if they get you hard enough, but there is no need to cut off part of the body. When they bite its in an extreme threat case or when the mantis is generally angry or scared. To get them to release their grip, just lightly pinch the arms off of your skin

no, no Branciska, totally wrong, to get them to release, you must clip the skin around their mouth and clip it all out, when they let go of the skin, then u superglue or sew it back onto your arm, don't worry, it will grow back in your next molt!

The only time I've had a mantis really grab me good it was my fault. I fed my adult female S.Limbata and she grabbed onto the cheesecloth I was using for a lid, and started to eat it. I tried to pull it away from her jaws and she grabbed me, it was actually pretty painful for a medium sized mantis. I tried to lightly pry her claws apart but I was afraid I'd hurt her. So after about a minute of trying, I just made her uncomfortable by flipping her on her back and resting the cheesecloth on top of her, she immediately let go.

Thanks for the info on biting :)

no, no Branciska, totally wrong, to get them to release, you must clip the skin around their mouth and clip it all out, when they let go of the skin, then u superglue or sew it back onto your arm, don't worry, it will grow back in your next molt!
:lol:

Latest posts