Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronstafari

Reaction score
Hey my name is Ron I'm new here, I live in central Florida and I keep rare chameleons. Looking to get into mantids because of my daughters love for entomology. Looking for advice on who to buy from. We bought several oothes from chameleon breeders and had great success growing them out to large sizes but in my opinion they weren't show pieces. We'd love to get several different species. Top of the list is orchids and Devils flower. I've been told I should start off with ghosts.

Welcome. You have a plethora of interesting species right in your home state.

Hello Ron and welcome to the forums
welcome.gif

If you are looking for places to buy from the most recommended are here in the classifieds, BugsInCyberspace, MantisPets, and MantisPlace. Read the feedback for anyone you are interested in dealing with, usually has most online stores listed too.

Indeed start with a Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa), they are great pets. The Idolomantis is what every new member wants to try anymore, and is difficult even for the most experienced mantid keepers - search the forum about it. They are a species I have no interest in keeping myself.

Hi Ron, welcome! I'm a mantis keeper newb ( 3 weeks in, but raise other insects and herps). I started with p.griffinii (thanks again cosbyart) and have added rhombodera Valida, Decimiana Bolivari, and awaiting arrivals of a couple other species. My kids also influenced my mantis keeping, we do classroom presentations for k-12 of beneficial insects. My experience so far has been great! I couldn't find mantis available anywhere online until I joined this forum. There are some great members here and tons of info. I was honestly shocked to learn there were so many species of mantis kept as pets. It's hard to choose!

Welcome :)

Latest posts