Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia L

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm just introducing myself! My name is Olivia and I'm a pet enthusiast (alongside my boring accounting career)! I've also owned/fostered hermit crabs, hedgehogs, a ball python, snapping turtle, beta fish, a cat and currently, just my saltwater tank (with various fish) and my lovely puppy (below).

Although previously, terrified of insects, I've found myself lost in the mantid world of Youtube for a couple weeks now- which prompted me to purchase my first ghost mantis last week (and second one is on its way!). P.S. He/She has successfully molted last night (beautiful light brown color - could that possibly turn golden/green?!)! :)  Currently, I have him/her in a 32 oz cup. I know they don't grow very large, but should I prepare a larger enclosure? And holy poops - this thing defecates a lot... 

(will post mantis photos when I can take better quality pictures... but for now.. here is Mochi!) 

IMG_1908.jpg

Hello Olivia and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Your Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) may very well turn a bright golden tan, but green is not as common but possible; although, those tend to be green as nymphs and change to another color as an adult. For a habitat a Ghost can live in a 32oz deli cup, but I like to give my pets a bit more room such as 1 quart containers (7" x 6" x 6") - but larger like a 10 gallon tank or such and the mantis can run into problems finding it's prey.

The minimum recommended habitat size for a species depends on their adult length, and Ghosts are about 2" (5cm). The general rule is 3 times their length for height, and 2 times their length for width and length. For a 2" Ghost that makes a habitat sized 4" long x 4" wide x 6" tall, and a 32oz deli cup meets that size.

Cute puppy, Mochi looks happy. :D

Welcome, I never see green in nymphs, ususally around 4th instar they really start to change color. If it is dark

around that time it usually doesn't change color. & as Crosby art says, they need more room. problem with

deli cups is as they grow, they do not get to move around. That to me is like a bird in a cage, cant fly stuck

in this little space, do unto others as u would have them do unto you.

Welcome.

Mantis transporter:  Wonder when Mochi will safely give rides. Maybe little saddles will help?    JK

My service dogs sniffs the table with containers and walks away to lay down. Hasn't been close to a nymph yet. 

Interesting thought about containers and exercise. Been thinking a lot about that as I decide how I want to house my new hobby.

Finding great ideas to consider all over this forum.

So again, Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts