Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twogglettz

Reaction score
Hi guys. My name is Tae, I'm from the UK

I'm really new to the whole keeping mantises thing (like 2 weeks), but I've wanted one for ages. I have a female ghost mantis called Ostara who has just laid some eggs, so I'm hoping to get a bit more info on how to look after the ootheca. I know the basics, but I'm a little nervous about messing it up  :p

I used to breed tarantulas for a living, and from what I can tell, keeping mantises happy is not a million miles away from what I'm used to, especially the arboreal ones. Hopefully it'll be pretty easy!

Anyway, I hope you guys have a good day.

Hello Tae and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

For ooth care take a look at the guide by Peter, see here. If you have specific questions just ask, otherwise there is too much to rewrite for a general guide.

Ah I've been doing the opposite and I've been getting into T's and arachnids in general for a year or so (just a terrestrial NW fan though). :D I currently have a rescued G. rosea named Harley that is 4" DLS and the pet store claimed she was 8 months old lol, and a unidentified T named Georgena I purchased from PetCo labelled as a B. albopilosum at maybe 0.5" DLS at most (now is about 1.5" DLS), photos here. I also have a Giant Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteu) and many bold jumping spiders (Phidippus audax) besides the other non-arachnid pets - and hope to get into Whipspiders (Phrynus marginemaculatus) soon as well. ;)

What species do you keep, breed, or prefer? Any photos? :D

Yes mantids though should be a welcomed relief compared to OW T's especially, or any T really. There is lots of information on the forum, just have a look around, use the search function, or ask. Have fun.

Ah I've been doing the opposite and I've been getting into T's and arachnids in general for a year or so (just a terrestrial NW fan though). :D I currently have a rescued G. rosea named Harley that is 4" DLS and the pet store claimed she was 8 months old lol, and a unidentified T named Georgena I purchased from PetCo labelled as a B. albopilosum at maybe 0.5" DLS at most (now is about 1.5" DLS), photos here. I also have a Giant Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteu) and many bold jumping spiders (Phidippus audax) besides the other non-arachnid pets - and hope to get into Whipspiders (Phrynus marginemaculatus) soon as well. ;)

What species do you keep, breed, or prefer? Any photos? :D
B. Albilo is a Curly Haired tarantula if you didn't already know. And I really can't comment on true spiders, but I know a ridiculous amount about tarantulas.

And ahh, so many questions! I am an unashamed crazy spider lady. You name a species, I have probably bred it. I just have a way with spiders so much that people in my area used to collaborate and get a breeding pair and would send both to me to breed!

But a few years ago, I had a fire start from a faulty extension cable and I lost over 6000 tarantulas. Distraught doesn't do it justice. 

I currently have a grammostola sp. (unidentified) breeding pair, but I love the male so much, I'm not willing to risk him on a breed. I wouldn't have even gotten them, but I told my partner how upset I was over not being a spider mum anymore, and so he bought me them. 

As far as fave tarantulas go... I could not tell you. Are you asking about the ones that let me handle them, the ones that breed well, or the ones that look the best? I have different faves on all three catagories. 

Sorry for the novel! If you ever need advice on tarantulas, such as suitability, housing, breeding or anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch. If you haven't already noticed, I love talking about spiders, haha.

B. Albilo is a Curly Haired tarantula if you didn't already know. And I really can't comment on true spiders, but I know a ridiculous amount about tarantulas.

And ahh, so many questions! I am an unashamed crazy spider lady. You name a species, I have probably bred it. I just have a way with spiders so much that people in my area used to collaborate and get a breeding pair and would send both to me to breed!

But a few years ago, I had a fire start from a faulty extension cable and I lost over 6000 tarantulas. Distraught doesn't do it justice. 

I currently have a grammostola sp. (unidentified) breeding pair, but I love the male so much, I'm not willing to risk him on a breed. I wouldn't have even gotten them, but I told my partner how upset I was over not being a spider mum anymore, and so he bought me them. 

As far as fave tarantulas go... I could not tell you. Are you asking about the ones that let me handle them, the ones that breed well, or the ones that look the best? I have different faves on all three catagories. 

Sorry for the novel! If you ever need advice on tarantulas, such as suitability, housing, breeding or anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch. If you haven't already noticed, I love talking about spiders, haha.
Sounds great, so now I know someone who I can bug about T's on the forum. :D

Species wise I have a list I want to get, with the Euathlus sp. being my must have favorite. I have only two T's so far as I'm hoping to order many at once from a breeder to make the overnight shipping not more expensive than the T's themselves. I do though have the space, nice shelves, and basic setups ready for many new pets already waiting. ;)

Wow, that is horrible about the fire and loss of so many pets I can't imagine how you felt then or now. Extension cords are awful, my sister and her family lost everything due to one catching the house on fire while they were out for dinner. Did you have homeowners or renters insurance that helped cover the damage? I know though after my sister's fight they have so many loopholes in coverage it may not have amounted to much.

Nice that your partner bought you the T's and got you started again. It's always great to have someone supportive in the hobby, even if they won't feed pets like my wife Melinda haha. For your favorites all three categories would be fine, I love to hear everyone's input - especially anyone who has kept so many species. As a new comer I'm always curious what everyone else has as favorites, as it often leads to new species to try myself.

No worries on post length, I am a fast reader and love to read, not to mention I typically write much longer posts myself. Heck a few even had to span several individual posts, but those tend to be my guide/tutorial posts on here. I've been accused of being wordy though, so when I proofread my posts I try to shorten them when possible.
thumbup.gif

Latest posts