Help, mantid bent in half after malt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loostotes

Reaction score
:eek: I found a baby mantid and it has malted for the third time two nights ago. I never knew to keep them in a cage with a screen lid and he hangs out on some plants on my widow and the last two times he malted he came out fine, hanging from one of the plants. Two nights ago I knew he was getting ready for another malt since he didn't eat for three or four days. He was hanging from a branch , a bunch of twigs in a vase, and the next day I found him - he had fallen from the branch and was in the bottom of the vase. I took him out - he had half his body out, but his one wing is extremly disformed and he also is bent in half !! He only moves if I touch him, but is eating and drinking. I have tried desperately to get him into a position to straighten him out by hanging him on a plant branch from under his front legs. It sort of straightens him out, but as soon as I take him off the branch, he bends in half, head towards his body. He ate hamburger three times today and a little water. Any suggestions ? My husband wants to make=shift a "splint" on his back with a tiny piece of wood, but I said no. I thought maybe "Jose" would straighten on his own but this is the second day he has been in this position. Every now and then he moves his wings around, which are very deformed, especially one. The black "netting" underneath is showing. He jolts his head around when he sees something, and wiggles quite a bit when touched. I understand he may pass on but we are trying to keep him a little longer. Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I think because he fell into a narrow vase during malting, it prevented him from straightening out. Thanks for any info.

It would help if you could post a picture of your mantis.

If he already has his wings then he should be an adult and usually there is no fixing of bent body parts after the final molt. I suspect this is the case and there is not much you can do but continue to feed and provide water for him.

So am I understanding correctly that he can't catch his own food?

A mantis that has fallen and is stuck into an abnormal shape due to the fall will not recover. This should not be confused with a mantis that has a folded over abdomen which happens from time to time. Welcome to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but with the state he is now...there's nearly zero chance of him making it. :(
Hi,

I Had smilier thing happen to my giant shield mantis female at L6, i still have the male now fully winged. Unfortunately that is the way nature is set up. If it is a Chinese you will have plenty more chances to rear your pets. Good luck!!

Regards :(

Latest posts