Help! Mantis religiosa - European Mantis - MALE ISSUE

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quinn1220

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently I have caught two brown female European mantids, three green female European mantids, and one very stubborn brown male.
I've tried multiple times to get the male to mate with my females, but all he seems to do is either run or fly away from the female. Last night, I placed him in a terrarium big enough for both him and the female. When I first placed him in the terrarium, he followed her around but never made a move to get on her or anything, and then he just started ignoring her. They were in the terrarium for ten hours together, and as far as I can tell he didn't mate with her.
I took the male out this morning and placed him in his own container. The female is still in the bigger terrarium.

Is there a certain way to make sure the male will mate with the female? Am I doing something wrong? The terrariums are at 80 -85 degrees and have a high humidity. The female I put him in with also had displayed signs of ready for mating (wiggling abdomen and displaying wings earlier).

Thank you in advance for all your help everyone! :)

~ Quinn

Latest posts