HELP please... fruit flies in MI.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
I am in St. Clair Shores MI. I fed my nymphs 2 days ago. I went to get my F.F. tonight and they were all gone... There was a small crack in the lid... and they all took off.

So if any one is in this area can you please let me know if I can buy some F.F. from you.. please let me know it would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for reading...

If you have a local Petco or Petsmart you can try them. They often have cultures. Their cultures are usually not very good but would help you in a pinch.

if it was a producing culture u should have more flies in few days.

We have 3 big pet stores in the area.. they only have the stuff make the cultures..with eggs.. so that won't help..

Yes I still have the culture. I just put it into a warmer area... by my computer to try and increase the hatch.. I hope it works!

Is there anything else I can feed the nymphs today to get them through?

I am goning to order another culture for backup...

If you have access to springtails which is unlikely or you probably would have already thought of that... or maybe pinhead crickets. That too though, you'd have to find someone local because a store isn't likely to have them.

You can get wild caught fruit flies if you leave fruit in an open mason jar out by the trash. Just wait until you have a bunch, throw the lid on, and then figure out how to get them out in a controlled fashion :p

You can get wild caught fruit flies if you leave fruit in an open mason jar out by the trash. Just wait until you have a bunch, throw the lid on, and then figure out how to get them out in a controlled fashion :p
Place jar in fridge for a few mins.. The flies should be stunned for a few mins then... You gotta work fast though....

Do not overheat your fruitfly cultures--heat has been shown to be an effective way of sterilizing fruitflies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thaks everyone Vlodek offered to send me some.. how sweet is that... thank you so much...

It is still summer here in Wake Forest, NC. You could maybe catch Drosophila melanogaster in your area by putting banana outside.

Well, I can recommend you a guy that sells already started cultures and can get them too you in 3 days, even with normal shipping....

http://www.amazon.com/Producing-Wingless-Drosophila-Melanogaster-Culture/dp/B00JJWDDWM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408078286&sr=8-4&keywords=joshs+frogs
It is "to" not "too". "can get them to you in 3 days". Too is used like, "I got too many lobster roaches" or "I've got some lobster roaches, too". You may correct me if I made some mistakes.

Can Josh's Frogs ship the fruit fly cultures to a person in three days from now? It is Friday now. I would ask Josh's Frogs to send good cultures with media not used up and many adult flies because they sent me two already used up cultures of D. melanogaster wingless cultures with only a few adults left in them to me a long time ago at a time when I needed the fruit flies the most (it was winter and I did not start cultures in time for my mantises).

Sorry for your experience with him.. I know it is fustrating, sometimes... trying to deal with the computers, email..and the snail mail... and we move on..

Latest posts