Help please.....with photos!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laemia

Reaction score
Can someone help me please... if you have any Ghost Mantids I would like to be able to see the difference in a male and a female especially when they are young. It has been explained to me but I'm not sure if I understand it. I figured pictures would be better. I have an adult male so I'd really like to see photos of an adult female and then sud abult male and female. Thank you to all who help!

from mantisonline.de (great site, if you havent already visited):

gu1.jpg

the female's crest/horn/whatever is notably wider and shorter than the males, usually less crumpled but thats not deffinite. also, you can see her antennae are relatively short compared to his (this is a pretty universal rule, not just for this species).

here is another direct comparison:

gu2.jpg

you can see the difference in the thorax clearly here. also in general females tend to be abit stockier, the males a bit more slender. when you only have one, this can be hard to see, but if you have a number of them it gets a bit easier to seperate them.

you asked for an adult female:

34.jpg

subadult male:

17.jpg

subadult female:

17.jpg

hope that helps. theres loads more photos on that site, you should really check it out.

i know how you feel :(

but could be worse eh? could be 4 males and one female. at least this way if he's a wiley fellow and youre careful with feeding etc, he could do the dirty with more than one female. good luck!

You are totally wrong. 4 males and 1 female is a far better configuration... males are very unwiling to mate so having more than 1 is better.

there is a difference between being "totally wrong", and having different opinions and experiences.

the picture has both german and english annotation. the word youre referring to means "thick" in german, and is describing the antennae.

Latest posts