Help with feeding choice needed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I'm new to MantidForum, and completely new to raising mantis. I have a female, raised form hatching and just through the 7th molt, has her wings (Do not know what instar - I'm really new like I said). She is still eating nice big crickets, but I wonder if I should be giving her something more exciting. She is, after all, a high-class gal, and deserves the best. ALL advice is welcome. I'm finding this an exciting experience, as are many of my friends who are also residents in our retirement community.

Also, I have no idea what kind she is, nor do the folks at the butterfly garden where I bought the ootheca. I've tried to attach some pix, but get a "too big to upload" msg. Anyone know how big the file can be?

If she has full wings, she is adult and won't grow anymore :) My mantids seem to like flying insects more, since both the mantis and the prey stay off the ground. I don't have any idea how to get the pics to work, but if the mantis in your avatar is the one you are talking about It is adult and maybe carolina mantis?

I'm new to MantidForum, and completely new to raising mantis. I have a female, raised form hatching and just through the 7th molt, has her wings (Do not know what instar - I'm really new like I said). She is still eating nice big crickets, but I wonder if I should be giving her something more exciting. She is, after all, a high-class gal, and deserves the best. ALL advice is welcome. I'm finding this an exciting experience, as are many of my friends who are also residents in our retirement community.

Also, I have no idea what kind she is, nor do the folks at the butterfly garden where I bought the ootheca. I've tried to attach some pix, but get a "too big to upload" msg. Anyone know how big the file can be?
Go to photobucket and upload your pics, then you can load them onto mantis forum by copying the img code of the pics by using the clipboard feature which is the second clipboard icon on the top of the thread starter and hitting "allow".....

If you can look for big moths. Mine love them. They really flutter and my big girls seem to enjoy catching them after abi of a chase. There are few moths they turn down.

Underwings are big. There are no more sphinx moths but still plenty of mid-size moths and an occasional katydid. Check out blue green lights. Orange ones do not attract moths.

I feed my mantids as many wild caught flying insects as possible. Today I caught several hoverflies on the flowering sedum. (I've been avoiding honey bees this year because of the honey bee crisis, though they are quite abudant in my yard at this time of year.) I catch most insects in my yard but also have a great spot for grasshoppers. Avoid areas where pesticides may be used.

I agree with Sticky & Tammy most love flying insects

An easy way to get some flies at least it works great for me

Is put a little raw meat in a jar / Leave the lid part way open & put it outside

Shouldn't be long before yo have a jar full of flies

I just knock the lid of real quick & put a ziplock bag over the jar to catch the flies in

You can put them in the fridge or freezer for a few to stun them so they're easier to handle

Best of luck

Latest posts