Help with mantid ID?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehead

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me with a family or species name for this mantid? The photo is in the wild at about 800 meters elevation in central Thailand

_DSC0076.jpg

Welcome. I am not sure of your mantis but I expect somebody will come along that can ID it for you.

Here are some more pics. After looking up the Ghost Mantis I agree - it def seems to be of PHYLLOCRANIA Sp. if not Phyllocrania Paradoxa

This size fits also as it was about 4 to 5 cm high

_DSC0028.jpg

_DSC0037.jpg

Phyllocrania is a monophyletic genus from Africa.

What you found there is the Asian genus Ceratocrania. As far as I know, this genus is also monophyletic, the species should be C. macra thus.

regards

I don't know what it is (sorry) but it is a beautiful specimen. I don't think it is a ghost though, because the crown and shield are so smooth and flowing. The ghosts have a lot of texture and imperfections. Although I do agree it **looks** to be in the same genus. I would trust Tier's judgement

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million to all (esp. Tier!) . I often find mantids on my visits to the forests in Thailand that I have no idea of the species. I will be sure to post some more soon

Paul

Hi

Yes, there is too much ash in the air in some areas. My flight from Denpasar, Bali, to Yogyakarta, East Java, was first delayed several hours and finally it was completely canceled. Luckily I found a flight to Surabaya later that day. From there I took a train to Central Java. In Central Java, there was some ash on the ground, but none in the air anymore. Now it has also reached West Java. I hope my flight from Jakarta will not be affected.

Thanks, brancsikia.

BTW: You remeber some years ago I showed you a picture of Ceratocrania and aksed you if it is some kind of Phyllocrania, and you told me it is Ceratocrania? Thanks for the knowledge, too ;-)

Latest posts