Hey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meiko

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I live in Texas and am married, no children but we do have a houseful of critters.

I'm not really new to mantids, well.. not if you count the wild ones that I would catch as a kid. I have always been interested in them and figured it was about time to add a few to my home. I'm mostly interested in a few as pets (the more exotics) and some that can live in my garden (local varieties).

The ones I had as pets before were wild caught. I would only keep them for a few days then release them back into my yard. Up North I used to find the Chinese mantids all the time. However once I moved they seem to be a bit scarce around here. I have found a few of the Carolina mantids.. but that's been all.

So any tips or pointers for keeping some of the more exotic ones as pets would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows of good sources for some of the local types that I can release into my garden .. well..that would be appreciated as well.

I'm probably going to be kinda quiet as I take in all the info the board has to offer!

Hi Meiko,

Welcome. I'll let the experts answer your questions as I'm still learning...

When I was in San Marcos, Texas in October, there were 3 praying mantis on the house we rented. I captured them temporarily to photograph them and then released them. That's really what got me started with this hobby, and I now have six different species. A couple of my first nymphs I got in November molted to adults a few weeks ago. And now I'm starting over with two new species.

Tammy

Lake Elmo, MN

Welcome. Browse the forums and try the search for your basic questions.

Welcome! I'd highly recommend Ghost Mantids (Phyllocrania paradoxa) as your first exotic mantis. They are easy to care for, have great personalities, and look awesome!

Latest posts