Heya from California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omen414

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm very new to caring for mantises, in fact I just started 3 days ago so let me explain how I got started. My brother has always been into bugs and little critters and mantises are his favorite, while I have always been into engines (cars, motorcycles, dune buggies). Well, my brother finally decided to start a real collection of mantises after having afew in the past (Like an spiny mantis who molted wrong and died :'( and couple eggs of the average mantis). He bought 3 ghost mantises to begin and the person he bought them from sent a "Mystery Mantis". My brother couldn't identify it and since mantises are usually cannibalistic he gave it to me. Well now I have had it for 3 days or so and it had its first molt and now I believe I can identify it as Hierodula grandis or Giant Indian Mantis. GREAT! Now Ill have to buy a bigger tank and bigger food *sigh* but I don't mind because these are definitely interesting little creatures. Well that's my story.

Thanks

-Darren

P.S. Please correct me if I'm wrong in saying Mantises. Not sure if its Mantids or Mantises or Manti or Mantisesitids?

Hi Darren,

(I know who your brother got his mantids from, hehehe... :p )

Welcome to the forum and congrats on diving into the hobby of mantis keeping. It's a great hobby! I hope you do well with your little guy (or girl). Warning... they'll grow on you! And just like Lays potato chips... it's almost impossible to have just one. ;)

Welcome to the forum I'm also in California. As for the terms of the word mantis Mantids, Mantises, and Mantis' are the forms I usually see used.

Don't think Rebecca has that species could be a giant asian - Hierodula Membranacea or she is hoarding them.

About how big is it and what color is it? (I ask color because Miomantis nymphs looks like a smaller version of it when they're little and are usually a cream color for a while and they produce like rabbits according to Rebecca Lol)

:lol: Hoarding them, ha ha ha, I have them, maybe forgot to put on site.... hahaha, I don't wanna sell mantis, just wanna have fun... OH! and welcome, from OHIO!

Welcome to the forum :) .
Welcome from Arizona!

And start saying goodbye to your social life. My son drove down from Phoenix yesterday and invited me to come back with him and spend a week or so. I had to turn him down because "too much is going on in the bug room at the moment!"

Most folks use "mantids" now, but "mantises" is also correct.

welcome

the endless possible chooses of mantid

welcome your offically hooked line and sinkerd lol

Latest posts