Hi all

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mira

Reaction score
Hi,

I used to breed some mantises when I was younger. I received a few nymphs from a science teacher and bred them to release into my garden.

I would like to start breeding slightly more exotic ones now.

I love the look of Malaysian orchid mantises but they seem really difficult to find in the United States. I have read that they're illegal to import without a permit, but I'm unsure if it's legal or not to buy them domestically. I'll try to find a better species to start off with anyway, but I'm still having trouble finding ones that I find aesthetically appealing.

Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Other than that, I'm a senior in high school with a passion for biology. I plan to go to university in Autumn. I work as a certified nurse aide at a long term care facility.

Thanks for reading!

Hello and welcome to the forum Mira
welcome.gif

The orchid mantis is highly sought after due to it's beauty so it can be tough to find, and usually costs $50+ each. That said there are many members that have the Orchids, and without any legal problems too. The mantis comes up from time to time for sell in the classifieds section here too.

Check out this interesting Orchid topic. ;)

It seems just a few states have any restrictions on mantises - check the regulatory issues area for possible restrictions or laws in your state, or species.

If nothing else a great exotic mantis, and easy to care for species even for beginners is the Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa). You can find them for sell at MantisPlace and other sites. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
To The Group!

There is a lot of info on a lot of mantis here.. Get yourself a nice hot cocoa and spend time reading up on them... I am sure something will strike your fancy...

Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Latest posts