Hi All!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcannao

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to mantid's and this forum, I come from the reptile world and as I have begun phasing out reptiles mantids have caught my attention. I have been a longtime fan of inverts but never had the opportunity to raise any, other than max I can red knee tarantulas and emperor scorpions, the only inverts available back in the 80's! However, I now have the time, the room, and the ability to begin a mantis collection. Obviously, orchid mantids are beautiful, and they are at the top of my list, I am open to suggestions for a beginner as well as literature to help me create the most optimal environment for them. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any feedback,

Darren

Hello Darren and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Mantids, at least local species were always available if you could collect them yourself. I use to get a few mantids as a kid in the 80s and many other things, but the insect rule with my mom was they had to be released before sunset. So I never got into keeping anything besides cats and dogs until a few years ago, when I found my first mantid pet and everything else started too. :)

Where to buy

To start with you can buy mantids from the classified section (see the feedback section about the sellers too). Of course there are many great sites to buy mantids and related goods from online such as BugsInCyberspace, MantisPlace, and PanTerra Pets the most common and recommended for mantids themselves.

Beginner mantis species

Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are great and tame easily, and have a very exotic look but are a very hardy species - recommended for beginners too. Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) are a great option as they are a naturalized species so can be captured in the wild - I can collect over a hundred locally in a few weeks here. The Chinese mantids also grow large at about 4", which means they also are hungry pigs. ;)

One of my favorites has to be Carolina mantids (Stagmomantis carolina) as they are a native species, and extra nymphs from a ooth can be released (again this is another species that can be found wild locally). They seem to have individual attitudes/traits, take to handling and various feeders well, etc. Likely though I have a soft spot for them as I got started in the hobby rescuing my first mantid from a winter freeze while at work. They do require a bit more care, but if you can mange humidity and feeding properly, I doubt you'll have problems with the species as it was my first.

Some great beginner mantid species though are Flower mantis (Creobroter sp.), Giant shield/hooded mantis (Rhombodera sp.), African mantis (Sphodromantis lineola), Budwing mantis (Parasphendale affinis or Parasphendale argrionina), Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis), Double shield mantids (Pnigomantis medioconstricta), Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa), Giant Asian mantis (Hierodula membranacea), and Griffin mantis (Polyspilota griffinii). Although some are not necessary listed as typical beginner species, they are all hardy, and seem to do fine even with beginners.

Have fun searching and getting started. :D

Welcome to the forum!  I started in the hobby this year and of course orchids caught my eye too but I plan to work my way up and start with some of the more beginner species that Thomas just listed.  I actually saved that list from when he posted it elsewhere haha.  I have Chinese and ghosts right now and they're both great.

Thanks all, and I will do as I've been taught, I will take the advice of the more experienced than I and start with hardy, beginner species!

Latest posts