Hi, I'm Bumma. I like bugs.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumma

Reaction score
Hello everybody! My name is Bumma.

I live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania  

I have always had an eye for the microscopic world... studying all things small scale for hours on end. From the time I was 2 ... to 30 years later. Now, with 3 children of my own I am excited to share with them my passion for all of natures alien creatures! 

This winter, I brought in a Chinese Mantid ootheca ... planning to make a vivarium for some to live in ... not well thought out as I forgot about it and woke one day to 103,469 of them all over my wall... Ok, like 70. But still. With more planning I would have realized, in order to keep them all alive I would have to have an indoor safe haven for them. That is, until it is warm enough out. You live, you learn. 

The danger of frost is almost behind us and I have managed to keep all but about five alive and healthy! Today, a few of the mantids have molted their first molt and the others are not far behind. They are thriving on melanogaster fruit flies in their display case home... so far none(that I know of) have eaten each other ... that is, for now! 

I am hoping to move on to some other species in the near future. I really like the idea of collecting a few species to breed that will thrive outdoors in my garden. I am open to suggestions! 

Anyways, I am glad to have found this forum. Its nice to know there are weirdos out there like ME!

The display case had quite a few cracks and holes for fruit flies and mantids to escape, but nothing a little screen couldn't fix. The mantids like it up near the light so I think I may affix some burlap there for them so they have a more secure molting spot. Soon I will be adding a black or mirrored background. Still unsure. 

I didn't want to over-crowd the display case so there are only about 15 in there. 

The others are in some temporary homes. Either until they outgrow the space or I am ready to let them go... 

Two of them live on this tree clipping on my window sill by my kitchen sink, free range. But they don't go anywhere. I just sprinkle several fruit flies on it once or twice a day and mist.

L1 and L2 pictured together.

One freshly molted mantis that I placed back on the branch with a toothpick. They definitely need a better foothold than they have! Although I will say, they were very much able to reposition themselves into proper hardening position then I thought they would be after a fall like that.

Also, a picture of me. And no, I am not a crazy person.

Enjoy the pictures! 

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumma!

You are going to fit right in!

Welcome...

My family is from Chester County!

I have lots of PM... So I'm weird just like you! ??

Thanks for the welcome everybody! 

I quit the Facebook a year and a half ago. It was ruining my life. Kinda. I kept getting sucked into a scroll hole and when I'd come out of it .. I'd realize I was basically in a trance for the entire time and wasted all of my time looking st other people's lives and not living my own. 

So... a lot of things have happened since then. 

Like making bug enclosures ... making music...and building... and creating... you name it. 

I don't have many friends. And it's not because I am a bunghole... it's because I have three parasites that have since left the womb and have started eating away at my social life and bank account. 

Its ok. I'll let em live here for the time being. 

Ella is L11 years old. Obi is L7 years old and Ozzy is L6 years old. 

Hmmm what does the L stand for anyways? 

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Hi Bumma! Your first enclosure looks a bit like what I keep my mantis in. I just have the one, I don't know what I'd do with that many baby bugs! Also, I spot a cello on your wall (what a fun looking house!). Do you play? I play upright bass, but started on cello when I was a kiddo.

terrarium.jpg

Latest posts