Hi! keen to get started

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
Hi! I have come here looking for information, and possible sources for tropical types of mantis. I also have a large standing wardian case that I want to adapt for their use, so it will have the proper humidity levels. I have longed for the orchid mantis for awhile, but all the stuff I read about them makes them seem difficult. the violin mantis seems a better bet- not as interesting to look at, perhaps. seems a largish enclosure for just one- are there any species that are more tolerant to each other, and not as cannabalistic? thanks!

Welcome Amy! The Wandering Violin mantis is actually a communal species.  If you are looking for something smaller, lower maintenance, and also communal (so you can fit more in one enclosure), the ghost mantis is a good choice. Much cheaper, and as a hardy species, they are also great choice for beginners! Really cool looking too, as the kind of resemble a dead leaf. 

Hello Amy and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

The Wandering violin mantis (Gongylus gongylodes) requires more care and husbandry experience than a Orchid mantis (Hymenopus coronatus) does, and must be provided heat as well. Here is the Gongylus gongylodes caresheet and the Hymenopus coronatus caresheet. I would have to agree with the Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) it is a great exotic species for beginners that can be kept communal - the Phyllocrania paradoxa caresheet.

A friendly warning though, even with the best communal mantid species cannibalism does occur. The only way to ensure your pets do not fail victim to cannibalism is to house them separately.

Latest posts