Hi! Northern VA :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtolosa

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I'm living in Northern VA, and have been raising mantids for about 6 months now - ever since an ootheca hatched in our Christmas tree a few days before Christmas - what a great present, eh? :)

30 Chinese mantids hatched and 2 made it to adulthood (I had a steep learning curve since I had no idea what to do with them, I just knew I couldn't throw them out int he snow!). My last male died yesterday - he went downhill very suddenly after getting a cricket stuck on his claw for about 12 hours while I was at work, and I ended up putting him in the freezer to end his suffering, but THAT is how I found your forum (by searching for answers).

I'm fortunate that before he'd gone downhill I had already arranged for some ant mantids to be on their way to me once they reach 2nd instar, so I won't be mantis-less for long. I hope I can learn from all of you and your expertise as I enter more seriously into raising mantids! I just love having them around, and they're a great conversation starter! ^_^

Hello, everyone!

I'm living in Northern VA, and have been raising mantids for about 6 months now - ever since an ootheca hatched in our Christmas tree a few days before Christmas - what a great present, eh? :)

30 Chinese mantids hatched and 2 made it to adulthood (I had a steep learning curve since I had no idea what to do with them, I just knew I couldn't throw them out int he snow!). My last male died yesterday - he went downhill very suddenly after getting a cricket stuck on his claw for about 12 hours while I was at work, and I ended up putting him in the freezer to end his suffering, but THAT is how I found your forum (by searching for answers).

I'm fortunate that before he'd gone downhill I had already arranged for some ant mantids to be on their way to me once they reach 2nd instar, so I won't be mantis-less for long. I hope I can learn from all of you and your expertise as I enter more seriously into raising mantids! I just love having them around, and they're a great conversation starter! ^_^
Welcome from Oregon! We're not too far away from each other! Just one Washington length away... and then the distance from the U.S./Canada border to Vancouver! We have relations there. :)

What a nice present! :D That's what all the good mantis keepers love to ask Santa for. Oothecas . . . or Orin McMonigle's new book! :p

How did it get stuck in his arm?

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum! That's a cool story...I wish I were that lucky. :D

good luck with your ant mantids; they are awesome (someday I think I might try raising them too).

Why are the previous reply from Mantiskid and me both in italics? Is anyone else seeing this? . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts