Hi!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.mantis

Reaction score
I just recently purchased an L3 Giant Asian Mantis Male. I have read the book:

Praying Mantids - Keeping Aliens Book by Orin McMonigle & A. Lasebny

but would really appreciate it if someone could give me more advice/information on this species diet. Here locally, we have plenty of crickets, locusts and worms of various species. Should I order in a fly culture for just one mantid? How often should they be fed and how much at this age?

Welcome, might be cheaper to just go with small crickets with one mantis, maybe one or two 1/4 his size every other day. What ever doesn't get eaten in a hour needs to be removed as the crickets can be aggressive.

Welcome,

You have a really cool species that I like a lot, very agressive toward thier food usualy. You shouldnt need to get a fly culture for just 1 mantis...as long as you are where you can catch some outside bugs you should be fine, its just much too cold here right now to do that. but crickets are good, most mantids go crazy for somthing with wings. I feed most my mantids by looking at thier stomach(butt) and see how thin or full it is...but most people say you really cant over feed a mantis. But the more you feed it the faster it will molt and grow. that can be good or bad, whichever you decide :) Read through these forums...you will learn more than you have ever thought of learning about mantids...SO much info and so many good people.

_Bryce

Latest posts