Hierodula sp. abdomen open after final molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rofufus

Reaction score
Hello,

Some time ago, I got a Hierodula sp. which just went through his final molt (when they get their wings it's their final form, right?) a few days ago. I let him be to be sure he was recovered okay before I handled him, but he's still very slow, weak, and not interested in food. 

While he walking around, I noticed his abdomen or well his 'butt' seems like it has a big open wound on the back. Am I being paranoid, or is this not supposed to be like this?

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7602.JPG

@Rofufus Yes wings only appear in adult mantids, and unfurl in the final molt. The final few instars before an adult, wing buds become visible, but those are not body covering wings.

but he's still very slow, weak, and not interested in food
Mantids after a molt are hungry from the process, and once their exoskeleton is fully hardened (24 hours) are ready for feeders. What you describe sounds like a mismolt, and no open abdomen walls is not normal. The only time that should be visible is while connected to a mate during the mating process.

It appears either the abdomen walls became damaged during the molt, from a tear in the abdomen or related muscle(s). Some mantids are able to slightly repair the damage in time, or can live with the problem - the mantid will not be able to molt and solve the problem as it is an adult. However, you will need to be able to feed your mantid to keep it from becoming too weak and developing other problems.

For feeding see the post here...

Latest posts