hmmm, that looks like mantis food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyethia

Reaction score
So, I was at my boyfriends house walking through the front yard and listening to the plan to re-do his water line...when my little eye did spy little bodies swarming on the fallen grapefuit. So, as I tried to pretend to still be listening and looking for a route for water line, I'm trying to examine the fruit flies (OH! melanogaster size!) and figure out how I can somehow snag the grapefruit and flies and get them back to my house. I assume that my little babies would like these little things and they would be fine to feed them? It seems silly since I have 2 lovely cultures of hydei (flightless!), but I wonder if my little nymphs would like these smaller treats too.

I think I've lost my mind...

Wyethia

No, no, Wyethia! You can never have too many kinds of fruit flies. I shamed myself when our local batch of painted lady butterflies emerged last year, though, all on the same day, of course. I always enjoy them, but on that occasion I thought, "Yep they are beautiful, but without their wings, they don't have much food value." Now that is really sad. :rolleyes:

BTW, I saw my first Katydid of the year yesterday. Way earlier than I usually see them. Also, still a lot of Mosquito Hawks buzzing around.

Haha, I see mantis food outside all the time. Just as I was replying to another topic a few minutes ago, I saw a bug buzz past my window and I looked and thought, "Dang, I wish I could've caught that!" ;)

Although I'm still a novice, I've heard from several sources that some mantids actually prefer flighted flies, so the wild ones you saw would probably be devoured by yours!

I can't wait until I can start catching wild bugs this summer... I want to experiment to see what types of bugs my mantids prefer over others.

Me too! I've already noticed that they don't care for box elder bugs. But moths and flies are good. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts