Honey good or bad

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one reason I got my own bees.

For us we buy honey whenever it is available from the farmers market and the local Amish communities that travel around my town selling many things. Would be nice to have a steady source though, especially when it gets cold as both sources disappear around October until about May.

Did not know about the antibiotics and such in the fake honey. I tend to buy that for my waxworm/moth cultures as I use several pounds at a time now, but I will rethink that use as well.

I am expecting around 400 lbs of honey from my bees this year...100% pure, and NO CORN FARMING within range! I, among many others believe corn farming is the leading cause of colony collapse disorder, in addition to the mites and viruses wreaking havoc.

The bees are evolving. A recent comparison of wild bees from one location with a span of 20 years has recorded some significant changes. The bees were smaller with more angled wings. The bees have also been recorded removing and chewing up any mites.

Yes, and selective breeding is helping isolate hygienic behavior like this. A friend of mine in Jamaica has been working on a stock of hygienic bees. Russian honeybees are also smaller, with a more hygienic behavior compared to most of the common Italian bees.

Latest posts