Honey?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose there could be some benefit and some people seem to think so but I personally do not give it directly. I do however feed it to flies. 

I offer it as a treat once in a while, a few of my mantids have liked it and a few have showed no interest whatsoever. 

It depends on how many pet mantids I currently have how often if at all I give it to mine, usually I don't have enough time to bother with it. Although, I use to give it to mine about once a week as a treat. I too had a few through the years that didn't seem to be fans of honey, but after rubbing a bit on their forearms nearly all were fans when they get a taste.

Anymore I tend to just give honey to sick or weak mantids to help them recover, as it helps calm their stomachs, and gives them a boost of energy. :)

My chinese loves honey, I've used it twice, but never as a meal or actual food item. The first time I gave it to her was to see how close she was to a molt. She was refusing food for about 7-8 days and was getting ready to molt. But I was worried about how long she had gone without food and hadnt molted yet. I put the honey up to her mandibles on a toothpick, and it was as if she knew already what honey was. She loved it. Did the same thing a few days ago to see if the cricket she refused wasn't active enough for her or if she was molting. Turns out she was just being picky and is back to eating now.

"...Anymore I tend to just give honey to sick or weak mantids to help them recover, as it helps calm their stomachs, and gives them a boost of energy."
+1

I've done it and coached others through it as well. Personally, i am one to believe it does help aid the sick. Back when I started I used to offer it to my old granny mantids that were passing on.

Honestly though... I've yet to own a mantis that doesn't like honey.