Hornworms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleurdejoo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fed these? Had any experience with them biting? You or your mantid?

Oh I just wanted to add ...that is my wrist! These things get massive!!

My girls seem to LOVE them! However I cut the heads and tails off and hand fed. I put one end to their mouths and they locked right on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tested an eastern tent caterpillar of T. sinensis ?Twitch. Was concerned about possible toxicity. But Twitch dug in and cat guts exploded everywhere ! Pix are on this section. These tents are everywhere and the cats are very large (getting ready to pupate). Free banquets for a few weeks! Then the 3 billion cicadas rise like fat noisy zombies. Yeah !

Please collect bucketfulls of cicadas and send them to me! Great mantis food! ;) and yeah if u let ur hornworms pupate, they'll make great feeders too Jude!

Andrew will you not have cicada"s there?

That would suck. I love the sound although I think this next batch will be a bit loud!!!!

I read the caterpillar thread, very interesting, I had no idea some were toxic. That's always good to know!

SO as far as the horn worms go, Andrew I can hear their little (not so little) jaws snapping. I am really very afraid to leave their heads on.

I will try leaving a head on with my valida she's super aggressive.

Andrew will you not have cicada"s there?

That would suck. I love the sound although I think this next batch will be a bit loud!!!!

I read the caterpillar thread, very interesting, I had no idea some were toxic. That's always good to know!

SO as far as the horn worms go, Andrew I can hear their little (not so little) jaws snapping. I am really very afraid to leave their heads on.

I will try leaving a head on with my valida she's super aggressive.
Same here. Send me some haha. We have the annual species but we don't get the periodical species here in this part of the state.

Latest posts