House Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
Recently bought some housefly pupae and hached them out in "cup-o-flies" from mantisplace.com. In case you don't know, cup-o-flies is a small flat plastic tub with three small conatiners inside for water, pupae, and food.

It works great but now I have 100 flies buzzing around in there. My wife and I put them in the freezer for 3 minutes to put them to sleep but when we opened the container and tried to place them into approximately 30 mantis enclosures they were buzzing around like crazy.

After freeing half of the flies accidentally, we decided to find a better way. This is what we did:

1. Put flies to sleep in freezer,

2. use a spoon to fish them out and into a small empty plastic sponge stoppered culture jar.

3. cover the culture jar with a ale coaster - then connect the culture jar with the sponge stoppered hole in each mantis enclosure and remove the coaster and let a fly or two fly in.

This worked better than the first method but there must be a better way - WHAT IS THE BETTER WAY?

~Arkanis

I'm no expert, and I don't have nearly as many mouths to feed, but, after the flies have been cooled, I would clip a wing or two. Delicate work, but it's worked for me in the past.

I don't use houseflies...but I'd try the refrigerator not the freezer, and just leave them in longer.

And if you'd try my FlyHose style system...I think you'd need to use round holes (I noticed the containers that the limbatas had square holes) or it may not work so well. Might also be hard to attache to the larger/flatter cup-o-flies...

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?ac...post&id=545

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: ha ha, silly boy, Get the lid with the hole in the middle next time, then u can release a couple in a cup or fruit fly bottle, one that has the small opening, works great, u get the fruit fly bottle and take the sponge out of opening and invert it and a couple fly in and then stick that in the hole in the mantis's house. Or

I pupae some right in the fruit fly bottles, just the amount I need for the day and stick it in the hole and they crawl out into the mantis house. I am selling maggots now too, they are going to come either in the fruit fly bottles for self pupaeing or feeding and cups, I know, I know, I don't do maggots, but I do have my breaking point :huh: , and over the Christmas holidays, I reached it with the fly people not delivering flies, so now I like big bro Rick, maggots and some pupae for me and my little friends, before u know it I will be doing roaches too :rolleyes: ...NOT!

Hey, thanks everyone - those are some good ideas. For now we will probably go with cutting a hole in there - obvious enough i guess ;) but a good idea. Also we will use those little bottles to hatch the flies in too!

I was trying to figure out a better way too and this was my solution.... Instead of hatching all the pupae in one container, I split them all up into more manageable amounts. Like if I had 100 house fly pupae, I'd put 20 in each of 5 smaller ventilated cups. I made some "fly cups" out of the small size containers I've been using from the Dollar Store. I cut a hole in the lid and hot glue aluminum screening on it for ventilation. Then I cut a smaller hole on the bottom and secure it with a foam plug. Maybe I should have put these holes in the sides, as the containers don't sit level with the foam protruding out the bottom... but it's not too much of a problem.

Then I smear some honey on the inside surface of the plug to maintain the flies. I put about 20 or so pupae in each fly cup, and when they hatch I use the fridge/freezer method. This way, you have less flies to portion out at one time, and hopefully they won't all wake up before you get them in the enclosures. It does take more containers and time to set each one up and maintain though. I usually mist them when I mist the mantids too.

The reason I smear the honey into the removable foam plug is so that I can "refill" or replace the plug with another honeyed-up one when that one gets old... and not have to move or remove the flies. And it sits up above the bottom of the container, so the pupae don't get all stuck to it.

This is just my beginners trial for "a better way." I'd still like to find something even easier... but I'm not sure something like that exists! House flys are just kind of a pain. Too bad they're just the best size feeder at times. :rolleyes:

You keep the maggots in the fridge and take out how many you want to turn into flies. Don't leave them all out or they will all pupate.

You keep the maggots in the fridge and take out how many you want to turn into flies. Don't leave them all out or they will all pupate.
I agree... :) But when you get to the point that keeping them in the fridge will result in not hatching (like after 2 weeks or so), then you're forced to hatch them, and just maintain them as adults to at least get some use out of them... no?

I have another system - it's cheap, easy to make and actually quite efficient. But I'm not gonna tell you :p

I agree... :) But when you get to the point that keeping them in the fridge will result in not hatching (like after 2 weeks or so), then you're forced to hatch them, and just maintain them as adults to at least get some use out of them... no?
What do you mean? It takes me over a month to go through a tub of them and they stay in the fridge the whole time. They never fail to turn into flies as long as they are still moving when I take them out of the fridge.

What do you mean? It takes me over a month to go through a tub of them and they stay in the fridge the whole time. They never fail to turn into flies as long as they are still moving when I take them out of the fridge.
Hmmm... will have to look at directions again if I can find them. I thought they said you could keep them in the fridge for up to a week... then you'd have problems with hatch rate... and eventually no hatch. So that's what I'd been doing. ***mublling to myself... where are those stupid directions?*** I've been afraid after about 2 weeks in the fridge that none of them would hatch anymore.

Hmmm... will have to look at directions again if I can find them. I thought they said you could keep them in the fridge for up to a week... then you'd have problems with hatch rate... and eventually no hatch. So that's what I'd been doing. ***mublling to myself... where are those stupid directions?*** I've been afraid after about 2 weeks in the fridge that none of them would hatch anymore.
As with most things I don't always take what I read as fact. I find what works for me. They last MUCH longer than a week. Eventually they will die but as long as the maggots are alive I get flies out of them. Eventually the dead ones turn black and I pick out the live ones lift and they still pupate.

Ok thanks everyone - so it seems to me that the best thing would be to buy like 500 maggots and hatch out about 100 a week for 5 weeks -

So maximum maggot time in fridge is about 1 month (is this right*?)

And maximum pupae time in fridge is about 1 week???? (is that right?)

Ok thanks everyone - so it seems to me that the best thing would be to buy like 500 maggots and hatch out about 100 a week for 5 weeks -So maximum maggot time in fridge is about 1 month (is this right*?)

And maximum pupae time in fridge is about 1 week???? (is that right?)
1) The difference in "fridge life" that Ron and Katt mention may be due to a difference in fridge temperature. I have seen temps of around 38F, and when Sunny and I make fried eggs, those from her fridge are partially frozen, so it's around 32F. Also there can be a substantial difference in humidity,. I always keep an open jug of water in mine and I have recorded 36% humidity. Many are much lower.

2) I don't know Kruszakas's "secret method", but if it involves a five gallon bucket, panty hose and a sweater sleeve, it's pretty good. I'll send you the instructions for my setup by I.M. and try it again (last time I let the water evaporate). If it works for both of us, we can thrill our friends on the forum with it!

As long as the secret method does not involve wearing the pantyhose then i am probably cool with it.

**I just feed and mist our mantids on alternate days and they seem fine.

Really though,

How long can pupae live in fridge?

How long can maggot live in there

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been buying the pupae... not the maggots. I don't have a problem with maggots. Would you suggest that might be a better option for me then (to increase shelf life)?
Oh I see. Yes I think so.

Pupae last a good three weeks at least, the hatching will be less and they will be slow flies and wings messed up, but will still hatch for you. Sometimes if u get really good pupae, (which all depends on what supplier sends me :{ ) then they hatch for a good long time. I am going with the spikes now, cause I am tired of playing with the pupae for my group, I still have the pupae, but mainly to supplement until they hatch and for customers who want them, I order every two weeks so they are fresh as long as they give me fresh, sometimes for who knows why I get bad batches, this is for both bb and house. Like I said before, it is either feast or famine in the Bugatorium...... :rolleyes: :huh: :angry: But I would not be without the flies because so many mantis need them, they cannot all eat crickets, I am breeding waxworm moths now and once or twice a week they get a supplement treat of a moth. Some like the wax worms but all like the moth.

Oh I see. Yes I think so.
Thank you. I see now too that you were talking about the maggots, when I had pupae on my mind. B) I just ordered a batch of pupae (will arrive this coming week), but think I'll try the maggots the next time.

They never fail to turn into flies as long as they are still moving when I take them out of the fridge.
I've looked at the pupae pretty good when I've taken them out of the fridge. Before realizing you were talking about maggots and not pupae, I was thinking... Egads! Mine don't really move unless they're in the process of hatching. Hmmm.... will have to sit and stare at them for a while next time! Maybe I need the magnifying glass to see it! :rolleyes: :lol:

As with most things I don't always take what I read as fact. I find what works for me. They last MUCH longer than a week. Eventually they will die but as long as the maggots are alive I get flies out of them. Eventually the dead ones turn black and I pick out the live ones lift and they still pupate.
I was thinking.... But they're ALL black!!! :huh: (Again, completely missing the reference to maggots, and "pupate" not "hatch." :p

Really though,How long can pupae live in fridge?

How long can maggot live in there
Yes, I'd like to get an approximate consensus for comparison and reference also! (Assuming average or normal fridge temps that aren't close to freezing). Thank you.

Latest posts