How do I fix his leg?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonMantis

Reaction score
I have a Chinese mantid with a deformed rear leg. He's getting ready for his adult molt and I want to fix his leg if possible.

Do I tape him up to his lid? Snip the leg off at the bend and hope it grows enough back in the last molt? Or????

Any help is appreciated folks.

If it is only one leg and he can hang, he will fix it himself. Please don't tape or cut him. I have seen many bent legs improve before another molt if the mantis can hang on the deformed leg. A photo can be helpful if you would like a more detailed prognosis.

I'm having trouble logging in on computer and I don't see an option to upload one on the phone version of the site.

It's a rear leg that has a bend above and below the elbow. Causing the one leg to point almost straight up into the air.

I was able to add a pic with the edit feature.

IMG_20130702_180450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my majuscula nymphs got a rear leg stuck in the exuvia while molting, and ended up with a bent/curved leg like so:

tumblr_mn2ncw6azl1sqveu7o3_1280.jpg

It molted safely on the next molt and now has absolutely no problems at all. Hopefully the same will be true for yours. It might end up needing to have the awkward leg taped to the container when it molts, to help support its weight--my majuscula was still pretty tiny when it molted out of the bad leg.

I'm having trouble logging in on computer and I don't see an option to upload one on the phone version of the site.

It's a rear leg that has a bend above and below the elbow. Causing the one leg to point almost straight up into the air.

I was able to add a pic with the edit feature.
I had a chinese baby with two legs like that. He was able to hang and molt. The two legs became longer! It happened through two molts. Each molt they were longer.You may have to snip at a joint.

I'd amputate that leg. That isn't going to fix itself.

Latest posts