how do i know if this is last molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelaluvbug

Reaction score
I have a chinese whose molting has been anything but regular. If anything it seems to molt earlier than what it should. Last molt. Didn't go great. It got stuck. Fortunately was only back legs that were stuck and I was able to free those, but its had to drag those around as I think they were crippled. This was about a week and a half ago. Molted again last night. Found on bottom of cage, so I don't know if it fell or what happened, but still has crippled back legs and one missing front legs. Food grabbing arms seem to be ok. How do I tell if it will have another molt. Maybe then it might grow back front missing leg?

Is there an approx schedule they should be molting and does weather have anything to do with irregularity? I had about 6 or seven chines I lost this year in molts, and I thought they were supposed to be the easy ones

Any suggestions are appreciated

You will know when the last molt has happened because your Chinese mantis will have wings that will cover the length of its abdomen, if they are pumped out properly.

I didn't find Chinese to be very easy myself. In fact, they are fragile as small nymphs, and then they need bigger separate containers as they get bigger. They are easy to obtain, but not the easy ones to raise. There are other, much easier to raise species, but they are not as easy or as inexpensive to obtain.
I still loved and miss my Chinese mantids. They get so big, and most are pretty calm when handled properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this will help, but my Chinese mantid, which was the guy who refused to eat anything alive unless I gave it to him (but he's eating now), is a little over 2 months old (born Jan. 27) and has had approx. 4-5 molts, and I don't think he's done. I had a similar exp. with a quick turn-around time.... he molted which repaired alot of his missing appendages, and then 2 weeks later he molted again. Not sure the reason why, but I'm sure my babying him has not hurt him! Hope yours has a few more molts left!

The reason your having so many molting problems, is probably because your humidity levels are to low. Chinese mantids need at least 60% humidity. You will have less molting problems if you raise the humidity. Also make sure they have plenty of space to molt properly. The older your nymph is, the less likley the full leg will grow back by the time it reaches adulthood.

My chinese mantid have been molting every 10 days or so. I keep them well fed at ALL times. If they'll grab it, I'll let them have it. If not interested I will remove and offer later. I have had a good experience with them so far. I think only one more molt to adult and that is quickly approaching. I am watching for the "swollen wing buds". This was my first mantid attempt from an ooth. I am going to complete the circle and have raised them from "ooth to ooth". I'm impressed with my care for these, as I have over 10 going to molt to adult soon. I have heard some people are "lucky" if they end up with one. Who knows.

girls are easier to raise than boys, I find that true in most species, including humans :lol:
HA! You wish! My mom routinely says, "See this ONE gray hair? That's from my THREE boys. See all these...? They're from my ONE girl!".

(Of course, a read of all the "Male Wanted Desperately" in the Mantid classifieds WOULD tend to prove your point...) :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not sure look for wings. The mantis will have wings after the last molt. Many variables go into when and how often a mantis molts. There is no way for us to know all those here. Chinese mantids are far from one of the easiest to raise.

My Chinese are molting every 14-18 days like clockwork, one right after the other. So far, I haven't had any molting problems, but I've kept my humidity at 60% or higher (when they act like they're going to molt, I mist and add extra moss to get it up to 80%)

I'm still relatively a newbie at this though, but so far all of mine have had fine molts and are about a molt or two away from adulthood. They've had somewhere close to 5 or 6 molts so far, so it depends on how many yours have had already as to how many molts are left.

The period from each molt will take longer and longer as it ages to adult.

Latest posts