how do you hatch an ootheca?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What species would help, some need a "over wintering period" which means they need a few weeks of cold temperatures before they will hatch. (prevents them hatching & dieing in a week to the cold winter weather).

Also have you been keeping the humidity up?, because they can dry out and die

Was it fertile?

if you don't know the species post a picture here, but if you found it outside somewhere it most likely was infertile. (they can take a long time though so don't get rid of it just yet)

Have patience. I just had multiple M. religiosa ooths burst on me this morning without warning. Had to wait over a month after taking them out of the fridge. Just make sure you give it a little spritz of water.

Have patience. I just had multiple M. religiosa ooths burst on me this morning without warning. Had to wait over a month after taking them out of the fridge. Just make sure you give it a little spritz of water.
how many did you get?

Over a hundred. But a lot died (or were gonna die eventually) due to being crippled or stuck in the ooth. That's why you should make sure to keep the humidity up. Currently I have exactly 85 nymphs separated into containers.

Nearly all of the 85 will die before adult hood. Under normal circumstances I would've released a lot of them in the wild, but mine hatched before the wild ones did. Right now I separated them into cups, groups of 5. And I just dump ffs in there. The strong will survive, the weak ones won't. Hopefully I'll get one from each cup to make it. Like I said, just be patient.

What causes them to die exactly? If food/temps/humidity are perfectly maintained shouldn't most of them live?

That's a bit sad! Guess you can't make a good omelet without smashing a few eggs first though :D

Some literally died instantly upon hitting the ground. Despite me having a soft substrate for them. Others never made it out the ooth (probably due to humidity though). Others had deformities. Even after the initial day of hatching, some seem to just suck at catching food. It's sad because it looks as if they aren't even trying to catch prey, and the end up dying. Not all of them die as L1 though, you still have random deaths here and there. This is my first time hatching and attempting to raise M. religiosa, so I'm a little nervous. Despite these being common, they're apparently hard to rear for whatever reason. And I didn't know how small they were as hatchlings! Iris oratoria (a smaller species when adult) are able to take hydei right out the gate. But these guys, either they're not hungry or I got a bad batch, because they won't go after them. I saw a couple take some melanogaster so I'll give them more of those. But I never knew they were this blackish color when they hatched, pretty awesome.

oxy hatchlings r the same size as tenodera hatchlings :)
I figured these guys would be around the same size as Tenodera, considering some adult specimens can reach similar sizes. Oh well, just gotta bug the insect labs for fruit flies. :p

You wait and wait and wait. And then you wait some more.