How do you make a cricket trap?????

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
I am outside in my backyard and i hear all kinds of crickets. Is there a way to make a trap or collector of sorts for them? What do they prefer to eat? (possible bait) It seems like such a resource now, as before it got annoying. HEY! I can kill two birds with one stone. Shut those things up AND feed my pets. Win win. Now how do I catch them?????

I could've done that. lol. I guess i'm just getting too lazy. I'm gonna get a loaf of bread tomorrow. I guess a french roll would work on a smaller scale. It's not like I'm going fishing or anything.
wink.gif

Back in Michigan, i used to spray the hose against the house, and the crickets would crawl up the wall from the tiny cracks they were hiding in. I'd get 5 or 10 every time.

You'll have to tell us if it works. :)

I'll use it if so, just because it would save some money. Since I've got salamanders as well as mantids that eat crickets, it adds up. Fast. <_<

I didn't get the bread today. Maybe, tomorrow. Who knows...Maybe tonight. I can still run to the store. I will post my findings when I have some. Happy trapping...

I'll have to try this once it gets a little warmer here and the crickets start coming out. I usually just leave the porch light on for a while at night and all the flying food comes straight to me.

Well, my attempt at a cricket trap was thwarted by unknown vermin. Possibly a possum. I made 3 small ones out of french rolls. When I went out to check they were all gone. As I was pulling out of the drive, under the car there was the remnants of one of the traps. It had been torn up. Maybe something got a feast of crickets. WHATEVER!

I use a yellow jacket trap laid on it's side with dry dog food in it. But I use that indoors for loose crickets. I assume outside you'll get heaven know's what in such a trap (ants for certain). And if the trap was previously used for wasps you'll likely get them too.

i use yen saws white clothe trick, hang a thick white clothe up and point a bright light at it. Not only do crickets try to get at it. You may get lucky and have a pregnant female mantis jump on it =) light attracts the weirdest things... like neighbors lol =P

Latest posts