How Do You Use Bee Pollen?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro92

Reaction score
I bought some bee pollen from mantisplace.com. They are small little chunks. Do i grind these into a powder or how do i do this?

Yes mate, if they are chunks you will have to grind them into a fine powder so they stick to your mantids prey.

You can buy them from chemist's in fine powder form though :)

Or grow a plant like pasiflora, the flowers possitively "hang" with pollen

Last edited by a moderator:
Grind it into a powder and dust the food. I have not really found it helping much. Guess it can't hurt though.

What is the purpose of the pollen. I have heard it makes mantids better and bigger ooths???
i guess the purpose is pretty much what you stated, to do with increasing hatch rate etc. whether it works, well that's a different question... ;)

I'm far too lazy to grind and dust my feeder insects in pollen, so I just feed it to my crickets and let the mantises get the pollen in that second hand fashion.

:lol: Why didn't u ask me? Just throw a couple (2) tablespoons at a time into a blender on high speed and in a minute it will be powder! Yen used it all the time, that was good enough for me! ;)

:lol: Why didn't u ask me? Just throw a couple (2) tablespoons at a time into a blender on high speed and in a minute it will be powder! Yen used it all the time, that was good enough for me! ;)
Cause you got a lot on your hands. I figured just ask the forum.

Blender worked well. I tried it a few days ago.

Also rebecca can you send me a message on how to breed house flies if you know how or anyone knows how.

Cause you got a lot on your hands. I figured just ask the forum. Blender worked well. I tried it a few days ago.

Also rebecca can you send me a message on how to breed house flies if you know how or anyone knows how.
and while some1 is doing that copy it to me. i like to have a housfly carsheet 2.

I make a "honey-butter" with the pollen, and apply to refrigerated crickets before feeding to mantises. A cricket busy cleaning itself is an easy target. :p

I bought too much pollen so I also use it as a supplement food for the crickets.

A good blender will get it into a good dusting powder, but if you are like me and you have an older blender more for chopping, use a coffee grinder. It makes it into an extremely fine powder, like flour, which sticks to the feed easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

The pollen can be digested by fruit flies well, so if you put a bit of pollen in these cultives and the fruit flies eat them it will be good to the mantis.

You can also put a little warm water and pollen and mix until a sticky, before feeding you must mud the prey and then give it to the mantid.

I don't powder any mantis food. I dissolve vitamins into the fly food and, in case of pollen, I just put the chunks on top of the honey. I'm always using it.

Latest posts