How does this work exactly?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
So I started to rear flies for now, since I had to wait until this week for money to actually get maggots. Anyways, I am curious how I can easily separate the maggots from my media? Just dump everything into a large bin of water and scoop the maggots out with a net? Or could I make it simpler and put some substrate on the sides for their to swim to and climb up to save themselves from drowning lol? Do maggots even swim?! LOL

So I started to rear flies for now, since I had to wait until this week for money to actually get maggots. Anyways, I am curious how I can easily separate the maggots from my media? Just dump everything into a large bin of water and scoop the maggots out with a net? Or could I make it simpler and put some substrate on the sides for their to swim to and climb up to save themselves from drowning lol? Do maggots even swim?! LOL
No. They are hydrophobic and can't swim! When your maggots are at their third instar, i.e. ready to pupate, put the container on a layer of cornmeal (not wheat flour, which clumps) and they will pupate in that, and smell OK, too.

I got some cornmeal last night and it works a lot better than the rolled oats I had been using. Less to mess with when separating the pupae from it. I just poured some cornmeal into my container of BB spikes and gave it a swirl. It left a nice sort of coating on the maggots that should keep the pupae separate. I hope I can make use of all these maggots.

If I understand right, I can keep the spikes up to 3 weeks in refrigerator, pupating what is needed for feeding. If at 2-3 weeks I have some left, I should then take out what's left to pupate and then those can be kept for 3 more weeks in the refrigerator to use as needed.

Here's some pics of my "harvest". "Got Spikes?"

bbspikes001.jpg

bbspikes009.jpg

bbspikes010.jpg

Why does that look appetizing? A little more cornmeal, a wok of hot oil and I'm good to go! Chile and lime or maybe some sesame oil and salt.

I might just have to try raising some of these (for my mantises :blink: ).

And maybe 12:11 is too late for me not to have had breakfast yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow! what kind of flies? and I can touch them too now :lol: if one gets loose while transfering them, I can pick it up with my fingers, no forceps! :tt2: am I special or what! :lol:

They are Bluebottle maggots. I don't mind them. They feel pretty cool wriggling and writhing in my hand.

So...is my timing correct for these?

Very cool Fraser!!! But aren't you afraid of crushing them with your fingers or are they tougher than they look?

@Rebecca: You are one brave girl, but when you start sprinkling them on your morning cereal, then we've got a problem... :lol: :eek: :lol:

They are tough-skinned.
laugh.gif
Very easy to handle without crushing. The tough skin becomes the shell of the pupae, so it is hard to crush them, even if you try. If pinched, they will just "ball up" to the pupae shape and then they are off and squirming again.

I don;t have a problem with them, once they are away from the feeding medium.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts