how long can an ooth hatch for?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riegs22

Reaction score
How long can it take for nymphs to all hatch after one emerges?

Depending on the species is it possible that just a few nymphs will hatch and then a week later 100 more hatch out? Or will an ootheca only all hatch at once.

I've heard of two consecutive days, but have not seen it myself. I'd be surprised at a week.

I have not timed a hatching but a larger ooth can hatch for over an hour.

Depends on the species. Most all hatch out pretty quickly while some hatch out weeks apart. Just depends on what you have.

The species that I keep lays ooths that take a couple of days to fully hatch out. A couple of nymphs hatch out on day and then more on the next, etc. It is also alleged that additional nymphs can hatch out in the following year with this species. I will be testing this in 2009.

I did not keep good records on hatch times. But I got an I. oritoria ooth from Joossa and it continued to hatch "for ever"! It took so long to complete hatchout, that I ended up with a huge spread of nymphal instars from the same ooth. They ranged from L1 to L6!! And all from the same ooth. I would guess that hatching continued with a nymph or two every few days over a 6 - 8 week period.

I did not keep good records on hatch times. But I got an I. oritoria ooth from Joossa and it continued to hatch "for ever"! It took so long to complete hatchout, that I ended up with a huge spread of nymphal instars from the same ooth. They ranged from L1 to L6!! And all from the same ooth. I would guess that hatching continued with a nymph or two every few days over a 6 - 8 week period.
Wow! :blink:

My Iris oratoria nymphs hatched for a week and stopped. I saw a wild ooth hatching outside, and they bursts out of it. But most of mine hatch about 10 one day and 15 the next day. The biggest gap I have between siblings is just one instar.

Latest posts