How much to feed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganelise9

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't seem to find an answer- how much do mantids tend to eat. Mine are bout L4 and enjoying fruit flies, but how many should I try to feed in a day?

This is a tricky question to answer and I've noticed different tactics and responses from different people.

For nymphs or communal species, I generally adhere to a "let them eat as much as they'd like" rule and try to always ensure there's a fly or two available for em to munch on. This helps mitigate cannibalism and ensures the mantids are well fed and hydrated (they get a lot of their moisture from their food.) It's fun for me to see their appetites grow as they do. :)

Great points Hibiscusmile and PhilinYuma. I can't say with certainty based on my experience yet, but some nymphs can even take down bluebottles at L4, right?

Watch the abdomen. It should be plump. Not looking like it is about to burst and not flat. Right in the middle. A little on the fat side is better than on the skinny side. And at L4 depending on species it is probably time to move up in food size unless it is a small type mantis.

With larger breeds house flies can be introduced at L2-L3, some like Idolo, Gongy(violins),etc will take house flies after a feeding or two of ff's while still L1, but even smaller types should eat house flies by L3-4, at first they may back away since they never have seen pray that size but soon they should gobble one down if hungry and fatten up nicely.

I find most mantis can easily handle flying pray about half their size, but crickets are another story, use discretion and monitor them when feeding them these as crix can fight back and kill/mame your young guns!

People often talk about switching from FFs to HFs and then to BBs (or Bs! :) ) as though this were an "either or" thing. I suggest that if your nymphs are handling hydei with ease, introduce a few HFs and see if they are eaten. If they all go while there are still a lot of FFs left, then it is time to switch.

When raising nymphs in a cube, it is a good idea to make the transitional period even longer. I suspect that one cause of deaths in mantis communities is that when most nymphs can manage larger food, a few late molters simply starve for lack of suitable food.

This is a fun hobby, in' it? :D

My general rule is to feed every other day unless the mantids bum is still a little skinny. There are a few species that can be over fed. I believe orchids, theopropus elegans, pseudoharpax virescans are some of the ones who have problems with over feeding. With my small nymphs i put a couple ff's in for each (i keep in batches of 5 until 3rd instar), and for my bigger ones it depends one how big the mantis is, but it can range between 2 greenbottles to 5or 6 greenbottles. My really big species (viridis ect) i feed green bottles, blue bottles, moths, and locusts. When the bums look plump i leave them for a day or 2 to let the bum flatten down a little. A plump bum can be a sign that the mantis is due to moult too, so i dont generally feed until the mantis either moults or the bum looks a little skinnier.

I think a mantis will eat whatever it comes across, and i suppose this is due to the wild tendencies because they dont get food every day in the wild, so they have to eat when they can because they arent guaranteed to get a fly or 2 the next day.

Sorry for the essay!!!!

Tina x