How say mantis in Spanish?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
My grandmother has a nice garden and I am trying to explain to her to look for mantids for me. Her English is ok but she has no idea what Mantis or Mantid means. I am trying to tell her in Spanish but I have no clue what to say. She is saying "chapulin" which means grasshopper and "predicador" which i think means preacher.

Does anyone know how to say praying mantis in Spanish?

Hi

In Nicaragua -------- "Rezadoras".

In Colombia --------- "Rezanderas" or "Maria Palito".

In Spain -------------- "Santa Teresa" or "Rezadoras".

In Argentina --------------- "Tata Dios".

In Mexico (Guanajuato state) ----------- "Campamocha".

depens on where is your grandmother from

hope it helps

predicador is correct. My wife seems to think there is another name but she cant remember it lol. For the most part mantids are unknown or misunderstood my most hispanics, in my experience both with people from Mexico and folks from El Salvador. What I have been able to determine what many latin americans do believe is that they are venomous and that they are a cause of death among cattle. Trying to prove to them that that is untrue is very difficult, which leads me to believe that it is one of those old wives tales that is told to them when they are very young, and so they strongly beleieve it to be true. Now obviously since my wife was a city girl and not of the ranch culture, she had never heard that, but several of the people I have shown them to who were from ranching communities immediately identified mantids as cattle killers.

Last edited by a moderator:
predicador is correct. My wife seems to think there is another name but she cant remember it lol. For the most part mantids are unknown or misunderstood my most hispanics, in my experience both with people from Mexico and folks from El Salvador. What I have been able to determine what many latin americans do believe is that they are venomous and that they are a cause of death among cattle. Trying to prove to them that that is untrue is very difficult, which leads me to believe that it is one of those old wives tales that is told to them when they are very young, and so they strongly beleieve it to be true. Now obviously since my wife was a city girl and not of the ranch culture, she had never heard that, but several of the people I have shown them to who were from ranching communities immediately identified mantids as cattle killers.
First of all, all the names londonmantid and I posted are all "correct". All the names are used somewhere in the Spanish speaking world. And I can guarantee that there are more.

Second, the idea that mantids killed livestock is not unique to the Mexico, Central America, and South America. It was a common belief amongst American ranchers too. Mantid saliva was reputed to poison livestock.

I think you are using a rather broad brush to paint what Latin Americans actually believe. Sure, some of the more superstitious think as you suggest. But most that know the folklore understand that it is just that, folklore. Even most of those that repeat the folklore don't actually believe it. In Latin American cultures there are many stories that parents tell children that the parents don't actually believe. Hey, that is just like any culture....

Scott

I think you are using a rather broad brush to paint what Latin Americans actually believe. Sure, some of the more superstitious think as you suggest. But most that know the folklore understand that it is just that, folklore. Even most of those that repeat the folklore don't actually believe it. In Latin American cultures there are many stories that parents tell children that the parents don't actually believe. Hey, that is just like any culture....Scott
Trust me when I say that I have an above average understanding of the latin community. Nevertheless, I used the word "many" in reference to what they believe instead of most. I say many because I have shown my mantids to many hispanic people, and I always get one of two reactions... one of fear instilled in them due to mantis horror stories, or fascination cuz they had never even seen one before. The word "many" generalizes a number higher than a few, but less than all