How to best manage a mismolt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrock1168

Reaction score
Hello,

Due to unforseen circumstances, a female budwing, L5 or 6, had a really bad molt, and now her back is curved, basically a hunch back, and one of the arms is, for lack of a better word, folded to the same side as the other arm. Both raptorial claws are useless, they cannot grasp anything. Pics wont attach fornsome reason.  Fortunately she can still hang with all 4's, and will eat bug mush on a toothpick. It boils down to the following: when the next molt comes, i really wonder if the folded arm will prevent her from slipping out. Part of me says just let nature do its thing, and see if she pulls through, quite literally, or try some kind of partial or full amputation of the forearm and closing the wound.  The latter would be the more extreme measure, only assuming mantids have not evolved to remedy situations like this. If not, then she will have a tough time. Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. I had planned on mating her which is the reason for the hail mary here, and also she is one of the favorites. I see no reason for euthanasia unless the next molt makes things worse. 

Hmm, the raptors might make it difficult for the next molt. Honestly a pic would be best for better advice. If you want you can pm me and I'll give you my email or other place to send a pic. 

Latest posts