How to care Drosophila?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishMantodea

Reaction score
Hello I'm from Spain, 2 days ago my last Sphodromantis Viridis died because of infected flies.

My Sphodromantis Viridis was just L1 (3 weeks), In his/her first day I bought some Drosophila but the order did not arrived (It's supposed that they should have arrived 3 weeks ago).

Then I had to give him some flies I found in a "sludge" behind my house.

The flies was infected and the mantis died (The mantis puked severally and his head and torax became in black colour).

Sinttulo-2.png

I've been a little sad and I decided to start knowing how to care Drosophila (When they arrive lol) and after buy some species.

So.. I've got two questions:

1- What cream/porridge do you use?

2-How to take a fly ? (That question looks stupid but its important)

Here is a thread where I posted my formula, keep in mind any thing u may have on hand will work, I really doubt the flies caused it to die, if it would of killed the flies then maybe it would hurt the mantis, but most likely not. Try using some honey and vinegar to draw some wild flies and go from there.

poopie! I forgot to paste the link.... http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7094&st=400

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much Hibiscusmile, for your comment and your formula :D

I dont understand this very well:

if it would of killed the flies then maybe it would hurt the mantis
I understand: If the flies was dead before the mantis eat him they would hurt the mantis?

(Sorry for my bad english hehe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ment that if the bad water or dump was really bad, it would of not supported the flies, but since it did, the flies were probably not the reason your mantis died. They just die sometimes.

Well, the water is from a tank of sewage under my house and sometimes in the garden when the tank is full a little of "water" goes up and it makes a puddle and the flies born in there

yea, unless you have poisons in there, like drain cleaner, it should be ok, there is a species of fruit flies that hatch from my drains too, I also have a septic system.

Latest posts